News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is there a solution to stop SMF changing ownership?

Started by DomHobson, September 28, 2010, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomHobson

Hi.

Everytime SMF modifies any of the files (be it themes, packages, updates, downloads, uploads, ANYTHING) it changes the ownership of the file to "apache."

Searching the forum, lots of people have had this problem and the only solution seems to be "contact your host" or "upload everything and change everything manually" or "keep on changing ownership"

Now all these repsponses are valid, but they all seem like work arounds/temp fixes rather than solutions.

I don't understand why it is doing this. Even when i give FTP credentials for the FTP login I use (which never causes any ownership problems) it still insists on changing ownership of the file to apache. This is frustrating because I edit and change a lot of the files myself through FTP, but i have to go through and change ownership of the files and directories first every time I want to edit a file that SMF has touched.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more permanent fix, or any idea what a host should do to fix the problem? I've worked with many scripts, websites and setups before and this problem seems exclusive to SMF2. I used SMF1 a while back and never had this problem.

A bit more info which may help:
Apache server
Plesk 9.3 managed
CentOS Linux

SMF2 installed manually so i could ensure all permissions and ownerships were correct at install.

Thank in advanced

Dom.

Antechinus

It to do with the way account permissions for apache and php are set up on your server. If they're done properly then no problem. If they aren't then you get this sort of thing. Some hosts are better at it than others.

flapjack

what are you describing is a hardening method for apache servers that is provided by suhosin script (just google it). the only one to install it for you is your host

Advertisement: