News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

another install

Started by Reefie, September 29, 2010, 05:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reefie

Just a quick question really,I have been having some timeout issues with some members told them re cookies etc but still having problems.Anyway what I want to know is if I install another smf in another directory as a test borad can I use the same database as the one I currently use,or woould I have to use a fresh database.

A world without a reef is a world in chaos

xenovanis

You can't use one database for two forums, for as far as I know. Import backup of your current database and run repair_settings to connect your testforum to this database, and to repair all paths and urls.

What is repair_settings.php?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Firstly, on time out, try to use disable local cookie with or without enabling subdomain independent cookies.

Secondly, regarding multi forum single database, actually you can use two or more forums using a single database. One of the way is by using Subforum Mod (follow my signature on this). Subforum mod is based on Goosemoose & Orstio tips and tricks available here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=64492.0 which actually a single forum with different categories manipulated as different forums. Subforum Mod can be used in creating multiple domain forums (using categories as well), using portal, with single installation of SMF forum and database.

The other way is the mod (unpackaged) by JohnCcCcCc similar to http://www.simplemachines.org/communityt/index.php?topic=16190.0 or using a approach here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=16190.msg2667705#msg2667705

You can also used this mod here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2137.

There is really many ways to do it.  ;D

Reefie

thanks for replies,is the local cookie an smf thing ? sorry if it sounds daft,it's just driving me mad now been trying to sort it for three days,turned all mods off and still the same for some.Again thanks for replies will look into the links you posted
addendum
Enable local storage of cookies is disabled in panel

Reefie

just tried to get an affected member to log out then in again and he gets this error
"session verification failed please try logging out and back in again then try again" no matter how many times he tries it won't let him log out.It's bugging me that much now I am considering swapping forum software which is a shame as I really like smf,any ideas welcomed.

update
It appears that if users clear their browser cache and log back in it works until they leave the board,surely they can't all have the exact same problem,or could they

xenovanis

Have you tried enabling subdomain independent cookies?

Sorry for your frustration, Reefie, but please understand that these settings heavily depend on how a server is configured, so there is no way for us to tell you how to configure your sessions and cookiesettings. Even with a testforum on a different location the required settings could be different, because it's installed on a subdomain or in a directory, while your forum is in the root of the domain.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Reefie

hey don't apologise m8 frustrating yeah but keeps the grey cells working.I have enabled sub domain today so will see what happens over tomorrow,I understand what you mean,thanks for the reply

Reefie

it happened again apart from now I get session error when trying to log in the admin panel any ideas,my settings in server settings/cookies are
cokkies name - smfcookie11 (this was suggested one)
default log in - 360 minutes
storage local cookies - off
subdomain cookies - on
force secure cookie - off
database driven sessions - off
allow browsers back to chache page - off
seconds before sessions timeout - 2880

I actually refuse to believe that this is smf related as it is intermittant,I would assume that if smf was the problem it would happen all the time,as changing settings doesn't solve the problem,maybe it's my hosting.I am with hostso,anyone have any experience with them ?

Try not to use the suggested cookies. Rename/Create your own unique cookie name for your forum. Clear your browser cookies. Try it again.

Reefie

Thanks for reply I have just done as you suggested will see what happens.One member has reported that if they preview the post first then click reply they get no error,not sure if this helps but thought worth mentioning

Any update on this Reefie?

Advertisement: