Odd Permission Issues after migrating to new Host (Especially Avatars/Cache)

Started by idyar, September 30, 2010, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idyar

Hey everyone I have been banging my head against the wall for the last few days as we migrated to a new host.  Most problems I was able to solve but there are some very odd permission issues that have come up.  I copied all the old files and their permissions directly from server to server and confirmed they were identical.  On the new server however SMF complained that it didn't have write permission to /cache so as a quick fix I did a chmod 777 to it and that seemed to solve it.  I was trying to track down exactly why it was complaining about this on the new server and not on the old one when one of the members noticed that all our avatars had broken on migration and that attempting to attach/upload them was giving them a cannot write to attachments folder error.  So i did a quick chmod 777 to that folder as well and but we all still get the same error.  This is a brand new linux VPS and I am a brand new administrator so I linked my php settings in case there is something terrible obviously wrong with them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your time.

Just noticed another instance of this permission complaint:
Some of the files the package manager needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and using it to chmod or create the files and folders. Your FTP information may be temporarily cached for proper operation of the package manager. Note you can also do this manually using an FTP client - to view a list of the affected files please click here.

As a quick fix I chmod 777 all the files listed on the files/permissions of the admin window.  Can I leave this as 777 I thought this would be a security problem?  Still getting the following problem when uploading avatars:
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

//hxxp:www.guildrs.com/info.php [nonactive]

rd

idyar

Quote from: Royalduke on September 30, 2010, 08:43:40 PM
These may help:
How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?

Did you run restore_settings.php? This is a must in order to fix paths and such.
What is repair_settings.php?

You are my hero this fixed a few of my paths which was obviously causing problems, my question about leaving these permissions as 0777 still remains however.

Advertisement: