News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Merge Forums Together

Started by J.G, October 01, 2010, 11:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.G

Hey!

Is there a way to merge to different forums hosted on the same servers together? Both forums use SMF, but I am looking at ditching the two boards in favour of one big online community. Is this in any way possible?

By merging I mean, move all posts, threads, members, PM's, etc etc from one forum into another.

Kindred

it is, of course, possible.... but it is diffcult, time consuming and requires a good knowledge of mySQL
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

You need to have both forum working first. They should both be in the same version and have the same mods (so that their database is of the same structure). Then get you MySQL from phpMyAdmin for both forums.

Verify the last user ID number in one forum. Then start updating the other forum user ID  based on that last user ID from the first forum. Note: This user ID update must be synchronised with the user ID in post, theme, avatar, link, etc... I am not sure how you going to synchronise this but there is a way if you are doing it via MySQL / phpMyAdmin. I will suggest the change of ID from the last user ID of the second forum up to the first rather from the first up to the last.

I cannot describe it better here. I hope you can grab some of the ideas and try to test it first. Or better still, hire someone god to do that for you. Good luck!

Kindred

as I said:

Quote... it is difficult, time consuming and requires a good knowledge of mySQL

:P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: