Need A Help With Board Permission

Started by marwan, October 03, 2010, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marwan

Hi,

I have a need to create a board for members to test posts and signatures. I want to call it "testing board". I need that only the topic owner and a moderator and an admin to see topics. Means, members can not see each other topics, they can see only their own topics and reply to them. Moderators and admins can see all topics in this board.

Any idea which permissions I should use?

YogiBear

See if this does the trick...

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2474

It does say the mod is no longer supported but worth a try. I'm assuming you're using RC3.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

marwan

Quote from: YogiBear on October 03, 2010, 05:38:19 AM
See if this does the trick...

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2474

It does say the mod is no longer supported but worth a try. I'm assuming you're using RC3.
Thanks man. I'm using RC3. I'm sorry but I had too many modifications and integrations. I'm afraid of using any mods after I got my forum stable. Any other ideas? I prefer leaving this mod as a last option.

marwan

Just PMed the mod author, looking for some kind of support.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: marwan on October 03, 2010, 05:13:40 AM
Hi,

I have a need to create a board for members to test posts and signatures. I want to call it "testing board". I need that only the topic owner and a moderator and an admin to see topics. Means, members can not see each other topics, they can see only their own topics and reply to them. Moderators and admins can see all topics in this board.

I think there is a simple and straight forward solution. Just create the new board that you wanted. During the creation of that board, you will be given an option on whom you want to give access to that board. Select only moderators, so only moderators can access that board. By default, all board can be accessed by admins including this newly created board. Do update after you have tried this.

marwan

Quote from: ahrasis on October 07, 2010, 10:45:32 AM
Hi,

I think there is a simple and straight forward solution. Just create the new board that you wanted. During the creation of that board, you will be given an option on whom you want to give access to that board. Select only moderators, so only moderators can access that board. By default, all board can be accessed by admins including this newly created board. Do update after you have tried this.

Abu Fahim,

If only moderators and admins have access to this forum, so only moderators and admins can post. Owners can not post to test styles, colors and signatures.

Right?

Yes, that is right. You can even change the board theme so that you can test any new theme there as well.

xenovanis

Quote from: ahrasis on October 07, 2010, 10:45:32 AM
Hi,

Bumping in here. By default, it's not possible to view only the topic you created. You can set boardaccess for membergroups, but that doesn't apply to specific topics being visble to their own creators. The only permissions you can set is to create a new topic, reply to their own topic or reply to all topics. There are no view own or view all topic permissions.

You'll need a modification for that.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I concur with xenovanis. I am just attending to this because at the first glance the OP hesitates to use the mod shown by YogiBear. I reiterate that my given solution isn't exactly comply 100% to the OP's need and that is asked and noted by OP.

I do however want to highlight that a mod is not really necessary if it just for testing signature and its styles for members. This can be done via profile page. Just edit the signature part and save the profile. Then view the signature in the profile summary page.

A mod is indeed needed for admin to allow only OP (including moderator and admin) to view its own post for testing purposes (though I am not sure what it is) and the one that is shown by YogiBear is truly the closest.

Advertisement: