Mods

Started by TecKtoNiK.z0r, October 08, 2010, 04:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecKtoNiK.z0r

Hy there ! I am rather a veteran now using smf but i always had a problem. When i try to install mods on my forum it says:

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

I always had this problem , but once flamer solved it . Please can you tell me fow to fix it ?

xenovanis

Well, if you searched for that error you'd probably get a solution. Actually, the error itself is rather clear. You'll need to make sure the Packages directory is writable. You can do that using chmod. Set permissions to 755 or 777 (depends on your serverconfiguration). In addition, in the Packages directory, create a directory named 'temp' and make sure that's writable as well.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Having problems with the package manager?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

TecKtoNiK.z0r

I did like you said. And it says its instaled, but it doesnt seem that the php's didn't modify !!! Its about simple portal , and it should be apearing when i enter the forum , and also in packages a button with simple portal should apear , but it doesn't... in conclusion the php's are not changed ( sorry my english is prety rubish ...)

xenovanis

So, the error about the Packagemanager not being writable is gone now?

In Admin -> Main -> Packages -> File Permissions, at the bottom of the page you can select a profile. Could you try setting that to Free (all files writable) and try again?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

TecKtoNiK.z0r

It's the same like before .Still nothing changed , and it apears installed

xenovanis

Are there any errors in your log? (Admin -> Maintenance -> Logs)

TecKtoNiK.z0r

That was what i wanted to do now

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://www.rebornfw.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimplePortal_2.3.2.zip
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
2: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/rebornfw/domains/rebornfw.com/public_html/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2502

kat

Is the "backups" directory, inside "Packages" read/write enabled?

Is the file "installed.list" the same?

xenovanis

Long shot, but could you try running repair_settings? Upload the file to your forum root and run it from there, like this:
http://www.yoursite.com/forum/repair_settings.php

Click all blue links to correct the paths and urls to the default settings and save. Try to install the package again.

What is repair_settings.php?

edit: try k@'s solution as well ;)

TecKtoNiK.z0r

k@: yes
xenovanis: ive tried it , same effect

xenovanis

I'm close to finding my pillow, so we may have to continue this tomorrow. It seems a plausible reason for this error is the ftp user not having proper access to the path of SMF. I'm not sure if this is an easy fix :(

Can you tell me in Admin -> Main -> Packages -> File Permissions, what's set as local path to SMF?

TecKtoNiK.z0r

i think your refering at this : *  /home/rebornfw/domains/rebornfw.com/public_html ( it's the first from that list , other path i cant see )

xenovanis

What happens if you try to setup an ftp connection to this path
/public_html

or this
public_html?

or leave it blank?

TecKtoNiK.z0r

Alex' Manson

this sometime happens because of the temp directory error too, try making a directory in the packages folder , call it "temp" chmod it to 777 click install then a page of the errors and if the installation can go or not will appear, delete the temp folder, recreate it, chmod it to 777, then click "install now"
you should be fine.

this is all because of the host.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

And what should i do , somebody solved it once ( F.L.A.M.E.R ) and gbsothere

Alex' Manson

well, i think you must wait for them then...
GOOD LUCK
:)
*Calls F.L.A.M.E.R Or gbsothere To come!

TecKtoNiK.z0r

If somebody knows whats wrong please help me :( I kinda need it and rather quick if possible !

Alex' Manson

i don't know what's your error .. but i am SURE that it's the host's problem... (permissions) maybe...

DoctorMalboro

Advertisement: