News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Started by The Man Who, October 15, 2010, 05:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man Who

My forum is giving me nightmares on how to change certain aspects of the profile.  Ever since the start members have had issues changing their profile - avatars, signatures etc.  The drop down menu doesnt appear for them - or for me.  It does seem to appear to new members but then at some point (seems to be time related) the option just disappears

I know it is not the theme as I have cycled through various themes over the last month or so (how long my forum has been running) and it is an issue with all of them.

I am on RC3 and the forum can be found here http://rugbydungeon.com/forum/index.php [nofollow]

Any ideas?

EDIT: looking across other problems people suggest the permissions are at fault - all my permissions are set to allow users to upload their own avatars etc so it is not that

YogiBear

There is a catch I've found on RC3. Even though I don't want members to be able to upload an external avatar I have to enable that permission in Membergroups or they cannot upload one from their pc's either. Also, under Admin, check what sizes you want the limits to be and enable resizing if the avatars are too large.

That won't fix all the problems but give that a go and tell us if anything's different.  :)
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

cector

Computers & Technology | Entertainment | Movies | Health | Artist's Corner | Fashion & Style Forums

http://forum.digitallylink.com

kat

To a page you can't access, without logging in.

Good idea!

The Man Who

Quote from: K@ on October 15, 2010, 08:32:01 AM
To a page you can't access, without logging in.

Good idea!

he's a spammer, shoved a couple of links up on my forum to try get people to sign up for his

The Man Who

Quote from: YogiBear on October 15, 2010, 06:35:30 AM
There is a catch I've found on RC3. Even though I don't want members to be able to upload an external avatar I have to enable that permission in Membergroups or they cannot upload one from their pc's either. Also, under Admin, check what sizes you want the limits to be and enable resizing if the avatars are too large.

That won't fix all the problems but give that a go and tell us if anything's different.  :)

Unfortunately all the member groups are set to allow avatars so I know it is not that.  Appreciate the effort though

kat

Just curious...

Is your Avatars directory read/write enabled?

What about the Attachments one?

The Man Who

Quote from: K@ on October 17, 2010, 11:58:04 AM
Just curious...

Is your Avatars directory read/write enabled?

What about the Attachments one?

how do i check?  I know I should know but have forgotten

kat

You can usually check using your FTP client.

Probably using the "Attributes" command.

The Man Who

Do you mean the settings here?  The problem is as per this thread

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=405327.0

A lot of description is missing, something else that needs fixing.

Image shows what I mean

kat

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Seems OK.

Worth checking, though. ;)

Paul_Pauline

Just a thought  .............

SMF can have problems running if you have php safe mode enabled, it may be worth disabling it in your hosts control panel.
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

The Man Who

Quote from: Paul_Pauline on October 18, 2010, 02:57:34 PM
Just a thought  .............

SMF can have problems running if you have php safe mode enabled, it may be worth disabling it in your hosts control panel.

Safe mode is off.

Rather a perplexing one this.

Road Rash Jr.

I just registered on your site and was able to change avatars, is the a time line to wait for? I thought I read the problem occurs after some time?
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The Man Who

Quote from: Road Rash on October 18, 2010, 04:00:28 PM
I just registered on your site and was able to change avatars, is the a time line to wait for? I thought I read the problem occurs after some time?

Yeah - it seems to happen after a certain length of time, not sure how long (seems to be a week or two).  Thanks for checking it though!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: The Man Who on October 18, 2010, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: Road Rash on October 18, 2010, 04:00:28 PM

Yeah - it seems to happen after a certain length of time, not sure how long (seems to be a week or two).  Thanks for checking it though!
That really sounds strange - have you had any new leads on this? Any progress?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: