News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Attached .gif files

Started by gallitin, October 15, 2010, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallitin

When someone attaches a animated .gif file the file no longer is animated, just a still image.  Anyway to change that setting?
-gall

Oya

is it the thumbnail that's just not animated (and never is) or is it that the file itself is being altered into a png type image?

(this is apparently done as a security precaution in rc3)

gallitin

Well the thumbnail is not, and I understand that, but when I click to enlarge I would expect the animated gif to start playing, but it doesn't, still a still image.
-gall

gallitin

Just looked and after I click to enlarge the file type is still .gif not .png so I don't know why not playing.
-gall

Oya

just because the file name is .gif doesn't mean it hasn't been converted internally to really be a .png... which is what "suspicious" attachments do

gallitin

-gall

Oya

not sure you can, its done for security reasons but i hope its changed in rc4, keeps screwing up files that my users are trying to attach

YogiBear

Worth trying unticking the 'Use png to resize' under Admin > attatchments but as Oya says if it's being converted anyway then only the first frame of the animated sequence is being saved.

Yes, the word is this will be fixed in RC4.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

gallitin

What's the timeframe on RC4's release?  Or have they given a date yet?
-gall

YogiBear

LOL It'll be ready when it's ready, gallitin. The reason being not to rush the release which could lead to many more RC releases before it goes Gold.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: gallitin on October 15, 2010, 03:14:45 PM
What's the timeframe on RC4's release?  Or have they given a date yet?
No set date that I know of, but it will be soon. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: