News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[3.0] stop following a topic?

Started by MrPhil, October 18, 2010, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

(My apologies if this has been discussed before -- I did search this forum and found nothing. Feel free to move to Mod Requests or some other more appropriate place.)

In short, is there any way to stop following a topic? That is, when I post in any topic, that topic for evermore shows up in "Show new replies to your posts." Sometimes, I'm just not interested in where a topic is going and wish to no longer be notified (at the Show link or "New" on a child board) that someone has posted to a given topic. This would apply to all versions of SMF. By posting here, I'm assuming it would have to be a new feature, but I'm hoping that it already exists and I just overlooked it.

I looked in my Profile area, and see something to ignore certain boards, but I don't want to ignore a whole board, and I don't necessarily want to suppress the "New" tag on an updated topic. I just don't want selected topics to show up in the "Show new replies" listing. I took a quick look through the SMF 1.1.11 code, at the "unreadreplies" flag, and didn't see how it was done. I don't care if a list is kept of topics I've posted to but am now "ignoring", or if this feature simply removes or resets a flag somewhere (didn't see anything obvious in the database definitions). I'm hoping that it's as simple as clearing a flag in a "reply tracking" table (it could be made reversible by changing a flag entry to "no follow" rather than "follow", rather than deleting a record). I certainly hope that SMF isn't searching all the topics to see if I've posted in them and there are more recent replies!

Anyway, I'm hoping that this feature already exists and I just overlooked it, as I could really use it in this forum and a few other SMF forums I am a member of (i.e., I have no ability to install a mod on them). Thanks!

青山 素子

There is not presently such a feature.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Suki

it will be a nice feature indeed
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

Looks like there's an old mod that does this:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1193

"Adds the ability to ignore individual topics for the purposes of RecentPosts/Recent/UnreadReplies/Unread sections of SMF."

(although it looks like there are some problems with it on RC3)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

Ignore Topics/Mark as Read all the time/Unsubscribe topic

IMHO, while not very soon, this is likely to become a feature in SMF. Very requested, useful, and very well suited along with the rest of topic-handling functionality as SMF has it.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: