News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help with permissions (package installation)

Started by dojik, October 19, 2010, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dojik

I faced the problem and can't solve it. Can you please give me step-by-step instructions how to solve it?
When I'm pressing 'Install mod' button, it shows me
Вы не можете загрузить или установить новый пакет модификаций, так как директория Пакетов Модификаций защищена от записи (CHMOD)!
In english, it's something like "You can't upload or install new package, 'cause the packages directory is write-protected (CHMOD)!"
What should I do?
Also, i previously posted this question, but the topics felt down and no one answered. Will you?

willemjan

willemjan

Go to your adminpanel -> SMF -> Packages -> File rights. (My forum is in Dutch so I had to translate this. Could be a bit different in English)

Make sure everything is writeable

dojik

hxxp:piccy.info/view3/616031/11dfdbea843632a838212363993f5412/ [nonactive]
The red folders are marked as "Unwritable" and I can't set them to be writable anyway. I select the needed option, press OK, but nothing happens.

mighty_joe_young

You need to change your files to writable on your server

The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777.

•attachments
•Packages
•Packages/installed.list
•Packages/server.list
•Smileys
•Themes
•agreement.txt
•Settings.php
•Settings_bak.php
•install.php
•Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php

dojik

I don't need to change my language, i already changed it. I need to install mods

mighty_joe_young

O sorry i missred your post . Try ftp ing the mods you want to install to your mods folder

dojik

they ALREADY ARE there. They just don't install.

mighty_joe_young

Do a search how to install mods ,i did read some post ages ago, about the problems you or having installing mods .

;)

willemjan

Quote from: dojik on October 19, 2010, 12:27:38 PM

The red folders are marked as "Unwritable" and I can't set them to be writable anyway. I select the needed option, press OK, but nothing happens.

I'm not sure what that link is supposed to do... I get on an site in some strange language where I can see nothing....

Anyways, we have found your problem. Those folders need to be writeable. If the PHP script provided by the SMF software can't do it (like you stated in the post above), then you could try doing that with FTP. There is an manual out here somewhere that says how it is supposed to be done. I'll find that and come back to you :)

Edit: In my post I can see the picture that you tried to send. You need to CHMOD the folders. I'll find you the manual...

Edit 2: I found the manual. Try this: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=477.0

mighty_joe_young

Quote from: dojik on October 19, 2010, 09:30:38 AM
I faced the problem and can't solve it. Can you please give me step-by-step instructions how to solve it?
When I'm pressing 'Install mod' button, it shows me
Вы не можете загрузить или установить новый пакет модификаций, так как директория Пакетов Модификаций защищена от записи (CHMOD)!
In english, it's something like "You can't upload or install new package, 'cause the  packages directory is write-protected (CHMOD)!"
What should I do?
Also, i previously posted this question, but the topics felt down and no one answered. Will you?

It is telling you what to do , the  packages directory is not writeable so you need to ftp to your server and change the  packages directory to writable which should be 777

willemjan

mighty_joe_young

How The Permissions Are Changed
Via SSH: At the command line prompt, simply type: chmod mode filename
Example: chmod u=rwx,go=rx file.cgi
u = user, g = group, o = other
There is more information available from the command line by typing man chmod or better yet type info \(fileutils\)
Via FTP: If you are using an FTP program, the answer varies. Usually you need to right click on the file and the option will be in the menu. If not, access the help section of your FTP client and search for chmod, permissions, or change mode. Most FTP programs have this feature readily available. Some utilize octal, others utilize symbolic, yet others offer both. Making it equally important to understand how to convert between the two.

Octal and Symbolic
Some scripts may say 755 -- this is octal. Others may say -rwxr-xr-x -- this is symbolic. They both are telling you to set the permissions the same exact way:
Read = r = 4
Write = w = 2
Execute = x = 1

There are three types that can get to a file if you allow them to, The Owner, The Group, and Everyone.

So let's assume myfile.cgi requires the owner, to be able to do everything (read it, write to it, and execute it), and requires the group (people/machines with the same access as the owner) to be able to read it and execute it but we do not want them to write to it, and requires the same permissions that the group has given to everyone else.

User = rwx or 7 (since 4 + 2 + 1 = 7)
Group = r-x or 5 (since 4 + 0 + 1 = 5)
All = r-x or 5 (since 4 + 0 + 1 = 5)

The above equals chmod 755 or chmod u=rwx,go=rx

When you realize that setting the permissions on a script to mode 777 means you are giving yourself and the group and EVERYONE else permission to do things to your file, it's easy to see why mode 777 is not always a wise idea.

Default modes if you upload a file to the server and change nothing are:

All Files that are not scripts or directories
644 = -rw-r--r--

All directories and anything that looks like a script (.cgi and .pl files for example)
755 = -rwxr-xr-x
Summary
There are three types of permissions:
r read the file or directory
w write to the file or directory
x execute the file or search the directory

Each of these permissions can be set for any one of three types of user:

u the user who owns the file (usually you)
g members of the group to which the owner belongs
o all other users

The access permissions for all three types of user can be given as a string of nine characters:

user group others
r w x r w x r w x

Permission File Directory
r read read a file list files in ...
w write write a file create file in ...
rename file in ...
delete file ...
x execute execute a
shell script read a file in ...
write to a file in ...
execute a file in ...
execute a shell script in ...

Setting access permissions numerically
There is a shorthand way of setting permissions by using octal numbers. Read permission is given the value 4, write permission the value 2 and execute permission 1.

r w x
4 2 1

These values are added together for any one-user category:

1 =  execute only
2 = write only
3 = write and execute (1+2)
4 = read only
5 = read and execute (4+1)
6 = read and write (4+2)
7 = read and write and execute (4+2+1)

So access permissions can be expressed as three digits. For example:

user group others 
chmod 640 file1 rw- r-- ---
chmod 754 file1 rwx r-x r--
chmod 664 file1 rw- rw- r--

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: