News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Membergroup by email

Started by nosferatu, October 21, 2010, 11:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosferatu

Hello all. Love the new curvy look and colours to the default theme. Top marks!  ;D

I have a forum with about 1600 members. This is an organisational forum and many have an organisational email address domain (eg their [email protected]). Is it possible to filter those with that email domain into a membergroup so that, if running a poll for that organisation in the future, I could restrict permissions to that membergroup so that only they can view/vote in the poll? These people have already registered on the forum so I'm not seeking a means of placing new registrants into a membergroup.

Thanks as ever

Nosferatu
There's a certain joy in being mad that only madmen know

xenovanis

These emailaddresses are from the same organisation? That should be possible. Is this a primary or additional group you want to add them to?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

nosferatu

xenovanis, my apologies for the delay in responding. Those with the organisational email address would go into an additional group which would identify their membership of that group. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

nosferatu

The matter has now been resolved. In order to change an existing group of contributors based on their email address to a specific member group, you simply need to run the following mysql query (where the forum members list is at smf_members and the membergroup is 5):

UPDATE smf_members SET id_group = 5 WHERE email_address LIKE '%@domain.com';

Thanks for the help

Advertisement: