News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Strange layout in ie8/chrome

Started by tom128, October 22, 2010, 04:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom128

Hi,

This is a clean smf installation, no mods, except for installing polish language.

When posting a new message (by guest) the layout is a bit strange, please look at the attachment.

It is ok in FF 3.6.11 but not ok in IE 8.0 and chrome.

Is there something I can do about it?

Joker™

Email :o, there is no such option on posting page by default as far as i can remember.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

tom128

This is quest posting. I enabled it.

Btw: I don't like requiring email in this case, but this is a subject for another post :)

Joker™

Quote from: tom128 on October 22, 2010, 04:45:31 AM
This is quest posting. I enabled it.
As i said it's not a default feature and this might be breaking the layout. Try disabling or removing(if you had manually added the code) and see what is the result.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

tom128

the only modification I have is "polish language utf8". Indeed, when I switched to english it started to be OK.

Do you know by chance at which file in "themes" folder should I look at to make it correct?

Joker™

As i said you before also Email thing is not in posts by default, as far i can tell your post.template.php has been modified. In doing the modification a text string might have been left out in polish language file, due to which text is not appearing.

- On other note have you checked on all other browsers about this problem?

I have just installed installed a fresh RC3 test site, and installed polish utf8 on it. For me post page seems normal (see the image attached)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

tom128

Thanks for you help.

But did you try to enable guests to post new threads? In:  "admin >> permissions >> guest >> modify >> Post new topics" ?

Joker™

Quote from: tom128 on October 22, 2010, 09:23:59 AM
But did you try to enable guests to post new threads? In:  "admin >> permissions >> guest >> modify >> Post new topics" ?
Nope, but after enabling it i can see this as a fair bug in every web browser.

Let me trace the bug, will be posting solution for you in a while ;).

Hope some team member will see this as it seems a nice bug to me.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

I found a fix but it's not a nice one, for the time being you can use it

Make backup of file before editing it

Themes\default\Post.template.php

Find:

<dt>
<span', isset($context['post_error']['long_name']) || isset($context['post_error']['no_name']) || isset($context['post_error']['bad_name']) ? ' class="error"' : '', ' id="caption_guestname">', $txt['name'], ':</span>
</dt>

Replace it with

<dt>
<span', isset($context['post_error']['long_name']) || isset($context['post_error']['no_name']) || isset($context['post_error']['bad_name']) ? ' class="error"' : '', ' id="caption_guestname">', $txt['name'], ':</span>
</dt><br />

The whole issue is that the text used for
Name => Nazwa wyświetlana (in polish)

Which is taking 2 lines to appear and breaking whole layout.

Edit - Reporting it in bug area ;)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

tom128

Thanks! It works.

Btw: before adding the "<br/>" code, I first tried to replace all the "Nazwa wyświetlana" strings to "Nick" but it didn't work, I'm wondering where the hell it is :)

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Alex' Manson

try searching on the language folder and change it. in the php file of your language.

Joker™

Quote from: Kill Me on October 22, 2010, 10:45:25 AM
try searching on the language folder and change it. in the php file of your language.
You mean change the meaning of the word?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

tom128

Quotetry searching on the language folder and change it. in the php file of your language.

Yes, this is what I've done, but it doesn't seem to work. For example I changed a few strings in  themes/default/languages/Post.polish-utf8.php but it didn't change on the website (posting new thread site).

But it doesn't really matter since the "<br/>" trick worked :)

Joker™

Quote from: tom128 on October 22, 2010, 11:34:21 AM
Yes, this is what I've done, but it doesn't seem to work. For example I changed a few strings in  themes/default/languages/Post.polish-utf8.php but it didn't change on the website (posting new thread site).
Clear site cache,
Administration Center » Forum Maintenance » Routine
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Alex' Manson

Quote from: Joker™ on October 22, 2010, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Kill Me on October 22, 2010, 10:45:25 AM
You mean change the meaning of the word?
i mean make it shorter ^-^

tom128

QuoteClear site cache

It worked, thank you!

Alex' Manson

Quote from: tom128 on October 22, 2010, 11:53:30 AM
QuoteClear site cache

It worked, thank you!
take it like a basic thing,
if you touch language files, clear forum cache/browser cache ;)

Advertisement: