Ban IP

Started by PenelopeQ, October 22, 2010, 02:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Is there a way for me to ban an IP address without specifying a member?
I have a member who is concerned that his spouse is reading his info from their home computer and he would like me to ban that IP, but I don't want to ban the IP by using his account name.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Have you tried add new ban? Admin Panel > Members > Ban List > Add New Ban. Name the ban and at Triggers, select Ban on IP (e.g. 192.168.10-20.*) and insert the IP into the provided box.

YogiBear

You can certainly ban an IP address without specifying a member but a domestic IP address can and does vary - it is dynamic rather than static - so take care you don't also ban another member or prospective member on the same server.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I agree with Yogi. Re-reading your issue again, I believe, the user can block access from its own PC or her spouse PC using firewall etc... He can unblock it temporarily whenever he wants to personally access/browse the forum.

PenelopeQ

QuoteHave you tried add new ban? Admin Panel > Members > Ban List > Add New Ban. Name the ban and at Triggers, select Ban on IP (e.g. 192.168.10-20.*) and insert the IP into the provided box.
This is what I initially tried butit required a username--who was I banning, so it wa a ban  of the person and not the IP.

His wife knows how to get around things on the computer, so he wanted me to try banning his IP.

YogiBear

You can put whatever name you like into the Username ban field.

Now, as his wife knows her way around a computer blocking the site via the firewall isn't going to help and if you do ban the IP the chances are she'll know how to use a proxy.

Without hiding her computer there's nothing we can sensibly do I'm afraid.  :(

PenelopeQ

Yes, I told him that. He's not too worried, but wants to test it out--he's also my moderator.

Thanks, I will try putting in a fake username.

YogiBear

One further thought, Penelope, set the Boards invisible to Guests so his wife would need to join and sign-in to read them.

PenelopeQ

QuoteOne further thought, Penelope, set the Boards invisible to Guests so his wife would need to join and sign-in to read them.
But that is something I definitely don't want to do. I need people to be able to read so they can see whether they are interested in the forum. I get quite a few links from competitor forums and they need to see the differences.

ACAMS

You could log in as a different user at home, then ban that user and she would have to clear the cookies to see the forum.....something she probably would not do.

Robi052

that the correct form of this ban?

IP: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 (Ban mask: 192.168.1.1-254)

YogiBear

I'm not sure about that way but this does...

192.168.1.1-254

Or...

192.168.1.*   (simpler way of entering 192.168.1.1-255)

Advertisement: