Can I have only one board? Just a list of topics...

Started by chat2joe, October 24, 2010, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chat2joe

Hey,

For the site I'm working on, I've no need for categories and multiple boards. All I want is to be in a single board by default and just have a list of topics.

Is this possible??

Joe

sAce

Of course

I Assume you already have the Board,

No just go to AdminCP > Current theme > Show recent post

In there enter the list number of topics you want to show.

ARG01

I am thinking that he may not want any category name to show, only board topics. But, I could be wrong.  :-\
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

chat2joe

Quote from: S-Ace on October 25, 2010, 12:18:24 AM
No just go to AdminCP > Current theme > Show recent post

I'm assuming this in 2.0 is Admin > Configuration > Current Theme > "Number of recent posts to display on board index:" .
I tried that but it just shows a list of recent posts at the start of the same forum structure.

I'll try explain better what I'm looking for.

From what I see the structure of the forum is Categories > Boards > Topics .
Rather than being 3 levels deep I only want 1 level deep: Topics. Can I have my forum only displaying the contents of one board? Hide or remove the upper levels?

Thanks!

Tanks

Somebody did this using htaccess to redirect users to the board so it looked like it was the frontpage of the forum.

don't ask me how it's done, i just remember reading about it ;)

chat2joe

If you come across a link to that let me know! In the meantime I'm looking up SMF alternatives, something more basic...

sawz

in cpanel you can do a redirect. just put the url for the topic in there and your redirecting from the main page.

redirect from http://www.site.com/

redirect to http://www.site.com/index.php?board=19.0 or whatever the board number is.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

chat2joe

cpanel? I've just got ftp access, no control panel, so I'm guessing you mean put a redirect in the template header of index.php .

The problem there would be pages such as Profile (index.php?action=profile) would also redirect to the board page?

chat2joe

OK I've got it working now!  8)

I put the following code into the header of the template:
if(!isset($_GET['action']) && !isset($_GET['board']))
header( 'Location: ?board=1.0' );

So it will redirect if there's no "?action=" set and if "?board=" isn't already set (otherwise it'd loop).

Now I just need to remove the upper levels from the breadcrumb and I'm in business.
Page is here for those interested: hxxp:www.photosoc.nuigalway.ie/forum.php [nonactive]

xenovanis

chat2joe, I believe you'll need to look for the linktree in the file /Sources/Load.php. Here is where the multiple levels were created.

You might want to search this forum for 'modify linktree'; it has been asked before ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: