News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

WEbaccess only through IP address

Started by Wexy, October 29, 2010, 07:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wexy

I lads
Great software, runs very fast smooth, i'm happy.
1 thing through,
I can access the site on the server its hosted on the ip address, localhost, domain-name, domain-name.domain
But off the server i can only access it through the ip address, other wise it doesnt down load the images and layout, i just get the headers and inbut fields.

THis is a apache issue to me, but all other site on the server are fine
any ideas~?

Details:

Windows server 2003
apache 2.0
msql 5.1.41
php 5.3.1
all installed with xampp 1.7.3

Thanks in advance

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi, if the forum is currently accessible through the web, could you give us a link to see?
It would probably make it a lot easier for us to help you.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Wexy

Its setup for internal, intranet use only, sorry.
but the attched pic is what comes up.
this is when connect through FQDN but works perfectly through the ip address.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Try this - go to /index.php?action=admin;area=theme;sa=admin;sa=list
and check that all the theme and image urls are correct and accessible.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Wexy

Yes they are.
Just to clarify
I can get the site with no issue using ip or fqdn when i'm on the hosting server (localhost)
I can get the site with no issue from network pc using the ip address only.
I get the above attchment image when i try use the FQDN on the netowrk pc.
I believe it may be a apache,php configuration issue.
I did check the php setting for smf, all are as required.
other site connect fine from network pc using fqdn
i think its a Apache issue, sadly i'm a novice in that area!

Wex

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Wexy on October 29, 2010, 08:28:21 AM
I can get the site with no issue from network pc using the ip address only.
I get the above attchment image when i try use the FQDN on the netowrk pc.
This somehow just doesn't make sense to me - since the URL and path to the images and themefiles wouldn't change depending on how you access the forum - so could there be somesort of hotlinking protection or similar to stop them from loading if accessed through the FQDN outside localhost? I'm just guessing here really.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Wexy

The servers nothing special, its a virtual server, testing , nothing onit and not being blocked. I isntalled xampp on it and then other site as normal. if i visit it using just the fqdn i go to the xamp admin page, which works fine. should i have to alter the apache setting at all for adding new site?

Kindred

are your theme urls and forum urls set up to use the direct IP address?

If so, then that is likely the "problem", since the CSS files are not always displayed correctly when accessed from a "alias" address....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tesser

join up here www.no-ip.com  then download there ip client  then  use the repair_settings  then your forum  and all directories will show right  im a xampp user too

edit:
your them paths will be what ever you choose when you sign up with no-ip  they wont be your ip as they show now or localhost

they will look ok on  an internal machine but from out side the theme is white  you need to run the repair_settings from smf

also if you have a dynamic ip you will have to join no-ip or DynDNS and from either of them you can choose a free site name 

from personal experience i have found no-ips client updater more relyable

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi again Wexy, have you been able to sort this out yet, or do you still need assistance? :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: