Converting from PNphpBB2 and Postnuke

Started by GB, July 02, 2005, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GB

Hi,

I have PNphpBB2 integrated into Postnuke as a module. I'm trying to use the phpbb converter recommended in one of the SMF forums. All goes well, but the converter cannot use my path to PNphpBB2. I am sure that I have the right path and password. Is the converter looking for a specific file or folder, so that I can try to point the converter to it? Otherwise, what are the alternatives?

Regards,

GB

fabio

QuoteIs the converter looking for a specific file or folder, so that I can try to point the converter to it?

it just needs the the full path from your server`s root

i used it many times and i`ve  never had any problems with the converter.

RaveTSN

I am also trying to convert my PNphpBB2 forums to SMF.  I have run into a small problem, my tables are in two different databases on the same server but require two different passwords.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

[Unknown]

If you cannot give one user access to the other database, I would suggest reinstalling SMF in the same database as PHP-Nuke, or making a backup of PHP-Nuke and restoring it in SMF's database (and then temporarily change PHP-Nuke's settings to point to the other database.)

-[Unknown]

RaveTSN

Thanks Unknown.  I am going to copy my old PNphpBB2 tables to the SMF database.  Any idea where in PNphpBB2 I need to go to tell it to look at this other database?

Thanks so much for your help!
Shannon

[Unknown]

Should be config.php in the main directory of PHP-Nuke - make a backup!

-[Unknown]

RaveTSN

Thanks again Unknown,

I've got another problem.  I'm getting this error now - "Unable to find the settings for phpBB2. Please double check the path and try again."

I've moved all my tables to the same database with the same username and password and it is still not working.

Any more suggestions?

Shannon

[Unknown]

Are you entirely sure the path is correct?

When you first access the converter, the default values will be the path to the directory the converter is in.  If in doubt, try running it from the same directory as config.php.

-[Unknown]

RaveTSN

yeah, I thought about that.  I moved the config file and extension file it the same folder as the converter.  I even called my host and they were no help.  I just wanted to convert the board I had in PNphpBB2 to SMF.  I have over 90,000 posts and 6,000 users and I am not looking forward to losing all that data.

[Unknown]

The converter looks for config.php and includes/constants.php.  Try copying both files over, perhaps?

You won't lose any data.  For one thing, you should always backup.  As I've said before, backups are man's next best friend (right after dogs.)  Making them should, ideally, be done as often as washing your hands.  You never want to get caught with dirty hands, do you?!

If you make a backup, we can help you fix everything - even if to just get back to having phpBB/PHP-Nuke running properly.  That said, I do not expect any problems there; again, the converter will not write to or modify any of the other installation - only to the SMF installation.  Unless you've installed them in the same database with the same prefixes, and they do not currently both work, you'll be fine.

-[Unknown]

RaveTSN

It is hosed.  Can't get it to work at all.  I think the main problem was I had deleted all the old PNphpBB2 files when I found SMF (sure there wasn't a converter).  Then I got all excited cause I found a converter and uploaded all my old files.  Now it just won't convert.

I asked my husband to look at it since he works for my host, but he won't, he just keeps laughing at me say that I really screwed the pooch on this one.

On well, thanks for all the help unknown.  I guess my members will just have to get over it and move on with the new SMF forums, they are way nicer than what we had before anyways.

Thanks Again!
Shannon

Advertisement: