News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Personal Message Settings Help

Started by king kratos, October 31, 2010, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king kratos

I could have sworn that SMF had PM settings that would allow the Admin to restrict the number of PM's a user could have stored. However, I cannot find the settings for this in the admin panel. Am I missing something?

I'm running SMF 2.0 RC3

Kratos

Oya

king kratos

Ok. I see that now. But, how to I change the max pm settings for "ungrouped" regular members?

I must be missing something here...

Kratos

Oya

look in the settings for 'regular members'

king kratos

Quote from: Oya on November 01, 2010, 04:12:49 AM

I don't have a "regular members" listed. I have "Admin", "global mod", "mod", and the seven custom membergroups I have created (such as "premium members" and "classmates").

I do have "regular members" and "guests" show up in permissions, but not membergroups.

Kratos

king kratos

Ok, so I have gotten this set up, except that I cannot find regular members. Maybe I need to create a new membergroup to take care of this?

Now I have another question. Say I have a member who is in the regular member group, custom support group, and Global Mod group.

Regular members are set to have a max of 100 PM's, Custom support group max of 200 PM's, and Global Mods max of "unlimited". Because this member is in the Global Mods group they will have unlimited PM's, even though the other two groups have limits, correct?

Permissions are inclusive, so does that mean that membergroups settings are inclusive as well?

Kratos

xenovanis

Quote from: king kratos on November 01, 2010, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Oya on November 01, 2010, 04:12:49 AM

I don't have a "regular members" listed. I have "Admin", "global mod", "mod", and the seven custom membergroups I have created (such as "premium members" and "classmates").

I do have "regular members" and "guests" show up in permissions, but not membergroups.

Kratos

There is no membergroup Regular Members. Regular Members are ungrouped members, those who aren't in any primary or additional group. If you want to change the amount for Regular Members, change the amount for each postcount based group.

Quote from: king kratos on November 04, 2010, 07:42:26 PM
Regular members are set to have a max of 100 PM's, Custom support group max of 200 PM's, and Global Mods max of "unlimited". Because this member is in the Global Mods group they will have unlimited PM's, even though the other two groups have limits, correct?

I'm not sure how the structure is. You might want to create a testaccount to find out.

Permissions are inclusive, so does that mean that membergroups settings are inclusive as well?

Not sure what you mean by that?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

king kratos

By inclusive, I mean this: If I have one membergroup that disallows editing a post and another that allows it, if a member is in both groups, they will have the permission to edit their posts. This would be because the second member group overrides the first with the permission.

So, if I have one membergroup that only allows 1 pm and another that allows 11, then the member who is in both groups should be able to have 11 pm's, correct?

Or, in that same sense, one membergroup doesn't allow access to the Moderators Only board but the Global Mod group does. So, a member who is in both groups would have access to the Mod Only board (I already know this is true).

Kratos

Oya

QuoteBy inclusive, I mean this: If I have one membergroup that disallows editing a post and another that allows it, if a member is in both groups, they will have the permission to edit their posts. This would be because the second member group overrides the first with the permission.

then you can give out deny permissions as well (admin > permissions > settings) which block whatever else groups give (except group 1 full admin)

QuoteSo, if I have one membergroup that only allows 1 pm and another that allows 11, then the member who is in both groups should be able to have 11 pm's, correct?

yes

QuoteOr, in that same sense, one membergroup doesn't allow access to the Moderators Only board but the Global Mod group does. So, a member who is in both groups would have access to the Mod Only board (I already know this is true).

yes board access is inclusive, permissions dont have to be

Advertisement: