News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Feature? Letting Members mass-email specific Groups

Started by FannonF, November 01, 2010, 05:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FannonF

Hello there!

I'm new to SMF and have not much idea what this Forum might do and what not.
I've got SMF 2.0RC3 installed.

I think about making a Forum which should have a Feature that Members of a specific Group have a simple Ability to send a mail to a specific Usergroup.

You get the idea? Example: There is a Member and it is Part of the Group "Staff". He should be able to send an email (with Attachment?) to all other Staff Members, or Moderators, or Admins etc.
This could maybe also solved with automatic Notification of a specific Board, but not as complete as this suggestion.

Is this possible with SMF?

Many thanks for this wonderful Forum Software!

Greets,
Simon

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Basically, in a default installation you can give any membergroup the option to send out Newsletters (not containing attachments though) through the Admin panel, but that would allow this group to send them out to all or any of the existing membergroups on your forum.

Perhaps this could be done as a mod though.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's almost - but not quite, it won't do e-mail nor attachments.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

FannonF

Quote from: LexArachne on November 01, 2010, 07:10:44 AM
That's almost - but not quite, it won't do e-mail nor attachments.

Yes this looks VERY good exept email-Attachments!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could set it so that everyone receives notifications of PMs by default, and then have it include the post text - and that way it would also be sent to the receivers in an email. Still no attachments though.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Oya

why do you need to use attachments? besides if i found my email was being hit with attachments (i have an email quota) i'd get very annoyed - why not, instead, store the attachment on the forum, maybe in aeva media or similar, and just link to it?

better for my email, better for everyone's bandwidth

FannonF

Quote from: Oya on November 01, 2010, 07:41:13 AM
why do you need to use attachments? besides if i found my email was being hit with attachments (i have an email quota) i'd get very annoyed - why not, instead, store the attachment on the forum, maybe in aeva media or similar, and just link to it?

better for my email, better for everyone's bandwidth

This would be a good solution - then we would need a mod that auto-subscribes a special Forum (which have the proper permissions) to all members of it. Does something like that exist?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

None that I can think of right now, but still you might want to try searching the cust.site :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: