News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Fixed topic order?

Started by fferrero, November 05, 2010, 01:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fferrero

Hi all!

I search like half an hour but I didn't find anything. (Maybe due to I'm not native English speaker!)

I made an small course in a new forum and I want that forum to not bump the threads up once one member reply.

Inside the forum are the topics "Introduction", "Index", "1- Chapter 1", "2 - Chapter 2", etc.

The problem is that when one member comment in Chapter 2, the following person that goes to the forum see that the first topic is Chapter 2 instead of Introduction.

Is there any way to fix the order of all the topics inside that forum? Any help, please?

THANKS in advance!

Powerbob

Hi, yes just pin the topics! They will then stay in the order you pinned them.

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

xenovanis

There's a mod that allows you to sort topics in a particular board by date, subject, views or ..
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1677

Check out the last page of the support topic for the mod to find a working version for SMF 2.0 RC3.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

fferrero

Quote from: Powerbob on November 05, 2010, 02:38:00 AM
Hi, yes just pin the topics! They will then stay in the order you pinned them.

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply! Anyways, when you pin a topic it will stay ordered as long as nobody post on that topic. Once a comment is placed, it will be bumped to the first place among the pinned topic. So, If I pin all of them, it will be the same!

Thanks anyways! :)

fferrero

Quote from: xenovanis on November 05, 2010, 02:58:19 AM
There's a mod that allows you to sort topics in a particular board by date, subject, views or ..
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1677

Check out the last page of the support topic for the mod to find a working version for SMF 2.0 RC3.

Great! Thanks for poiting this mod out! I've just checked and the SMF 2.0 RC4 is available so I'll give it it a try in a few moments.

Thank you very much for your very fast reply!

xenovanis

You're welcome :) Don't forget to mark this topic solved if you successfully installed the mod ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

fferrero

I will, thanks.

Anyways, I have an issue. After carefully applying the mod I tried to load a category or forum and this error comes up: "Unknown column 'b.sort_method' in 'field list'"

I added the lines containing "b.sort_method" on "./Sources/Subs-Boards.php" and "./Sources/Load.php" as requested.

Any though why is not working? I'm running RC4, and the mod is for that ver too.

THANKS in advance!

Edit: Would this help?: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=298643.msg2486773#msg2486773

Oya

it didn't make the database change to add the new column called sort_method in the boards table

fferrero

Thanks for your reply in this topic!

I'm kind of beginner, is there any way to have the query necessary to run it and create that table?

Oya

the install package should contain a php file that runs the relevant query

fferrero

Thanks, but the installation package doesn't like me. I tried installing it and gives me the next error:

"Table 'sersocom_foro.boards' doesn't exist
File: /home/sersocom/public_html/foro/Packages/temp/BoardSortMethods_2-0-1/boardsortmethods2.php
Line: 13"

So I can't proceed. The mod doesn't install itself.

That's why I went ahead and done it manually. Anyways, after applying the mod manually, I don't know what to do to create those query, I tried to run the files standalone but I don't know where to place the boardsortmethods2.php file to make it run.

What am i doing wrong? Installing a mod must be easy, I'm sure it's me the one is failing but I don't know where! :(

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Oya

it's a mod that's over a year old, it predates the query changes in 2.0 rc2 :(

go to http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=298643.msg2731717#msg2731717 grab the file from there, in it you'll find a php file that contains the query to run

upload the file into the forum folder where ssi.php is then browse to it, it'll run and make the db changes

fferrero

Quote from: Oya on November 05, 2010, 07:34:43 PM
it's a mod that's over a year old, it predates the query changes in 2.0 rc2 :(
It shouldn't be listed for "RC4" as beginners as me tend to make the false assumption that mod will run for the mentioned version.

Thanks for the help but it's not working. Now I can see the modifications, no error is showing but the custom sort is not being made. So, I can't make what I need to happen.

Oya

the mod's own page says 2.0 rc1 - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1677 - anything in the support topic is an unofficial change rather than something by the author

fferrero

I see, anyways, if you chose the "Manual Install Instructions for SMF" from the link that was offered to me comments avobe you'll see that you can chose the 2.0 RC4 version.

Anyways, I was checking the mod from the language file and I think this is not what I need. If I apply this mod correctly, the members will be able to sort the topics of several ways. But I need to be just me the one that chose the order and I want a custom order so I won't think this mod help.

If anyone is able to make this happen I will appreciate the help, thanks all for your time! :)

Oya

that's just because the mod author didn't include instructions to explicitly tie it to 2.0 rc1, so it would just follow the instructions even though there are massive changes between the beta builds

fferrero

I see.

Are you able to make a simple mod for me to chose the sort (manually) that I want and that doesn't change when ever someone reply or try to change the order?

Oya

sorry don't have the time or desire to write mods for anyone but me

fferrero

OK, if you write that mod for you in these days and then want to sell it to me I will appreciate it!  :P

All, if anyone is interested to do a simple mod (I mean, there is no need to do a backend or similar, just a rough way to order and leave it order for ever the topics of some board.) please send me a PM, I'll pay a little fee for it!

Thanks!!

Advertisement: