News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

i have a-smf2.0rc3 and whant to update!

Started by pjn, November 06, 2010, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjn

hello!

i have a-smf2.0rc3 and whant to update to rc4...
but i have 13 mods, what production i need to update? and why?

Large upgrade
or
Small update

thanx!!!
Quick Portal - Free hosting & portal & forums system

Many designs + many extras + server = FREE!

Ask from us your free web now:
http://qp-free.com/index.php/board,2.0.html

Ryan2320

I would use a Large Update since you are using MODs

The large will uninstall all your mods, (You should check to see if those mods have been updated to 2.0RC4 before updating)

If they are then you should download the updated mod and install it, the settings should all be same so once you get the mods installed all of there settings "should" still be intact.

I would do research before jumping into 2.0RC4 and backup everything before updating

Ryan

pjn

Quick Portal - Free hosting & portal & forums system

Many designs + many extras + server = FREE!

Ask from us your free web now:
http://qp-free.com/index.php/board,2.0.html

Norv

I advice to update ASAP. There are security issues solved in RC4.

Indeed, some mods need to be updated as well. You'll need to check the mod site and search for them, to see if they're working for RC4. Some may work without changes, some may have been updated, some may still need updating. It will depend on mod.

Please do use the large upgrade package, as mentioned.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

XerraX

still dont understand why there is no package manager update... very disappointing
ReAliTy iS JuST a DrEAm. HaCk ThE PLaNet!

smartdeviceresource

Quote from: XerraX on November 07, 2010, 01:25:33 AM
still dont understand why there is no package manager update... very disappointing

Because it's a beta and there are huge database changes still occuring
after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

Norv

Not only database changes, but also code changes.

For example, between 1.1.11 and 1.1.12 there are about 40 code changes. They are all manually verified (at least, if not manually written), and packaged as a patch for package manager. This work can take between a couple of hours to a couple of days, it depends if it needs repackaged for some reason.
Between 2.0 RC3 and 2.0 RC4 there are (very roughly) 400 revisions, which most likely will mean more than 1000 code changes, probably much - much - more. Packaging so many changes as a mod would mean, judging from the 1.1.x example, ... more than 30x times more work needed, and time given for packaging and testing. :D
Please note that this is only a very very rough idea. In reality (if anyone would be mad enough to do it) it would take more. :D

Apart from this rough example, in reality it's meaningless to do, because with so many changes (and in RC4 there are some deep changes, too, not only many), there's a higher probability (than for 1.1.x line) anyway that some mods will conflict, or not work with the changes without being updated themselves.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: