News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

'There has been a problem with the DB'

Started by SergeantAsh, November 11, 2010, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeantAsh

On a fairly regular basis (three/four a week) I receive emails alerting me that 'There has been a problem connecting to the database - please contact your administrator'. I look in the DB logs within SMF's admin panel but they don't give me any useful information, such as the exact connectivity issue.

Is there a way I can get more accurate information on the connection problem?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

kat

Your host would be the best place to ask this, Sarge.

SergeantAsh

Quote from: K@ on November 11, 2010, 02:53:14 PM
Your host would be the best place to ask this, Sarge.

:(  but surely if SMF is picking up such an issue, its reporting/logging it somewhere?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

kat

It's simply saying that it can't connect to the database, for some reason.

It could be that your host couldn't cope with the traffic it was getting, or something like that.

Nothing wrong with SMF, there, I assure you.

xenovanis

Well, the report is that there was an issue connecting to the database. However, being unable to connect to the database SMF a) can't find what the issue was and b) if it could find the issue, it couldn't log it because there was no connection to the database.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

kat

* K@ wonders why Xen has an avatar with a large guy in...

SergeantAsh

Thanks guys, so this error will ONLY appear if there's an actual connection issue, i.e. its not there - it wouldn't show because of a DB issue (authentication etc)?

Paul_Pauline

Quote from: K@ on November 11, 2010, 04:25:45 PM

Perhaps Xen likes a large guy in   :)
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

kat

Quote from: SergeantAsh on November 11, 2010, 04:27:42 PM
Thanks guys, so this error will ONLY appear if there's an actual connection issue, i.e. its not there - it wouldn't show because of a DB issue (authentication etc)?

You goddit. :)

xenovanis

Quote from: SergeantAsh on November 11, 2010, 04:27:42 PM

If the error pops up once in a while and it fixes itself, it's definitely an issue with mySQL and not SMF. If it happens a lot, you should contact your host.

Quote from: K@ on November 11, 2010, 04:25:45 PM

What? That's me  :o
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Paul_Pauline

Lets see you smooth talk ya way out of that K@   ;D
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

kat

I like your beard... ;)

* K@ needs new spex...

xenovanis

kat

I just enlarged the image.

Your jacket's open and it looks, in the avatar, like it's your body.

xenovanis

Hmmm

I don't see that.

It's just a tiny xenovanis on a large mountain.

kat

Yeah, you can!

Looks like you're seriously pregnant!

xenovanis

That's a rock  :(

Maybe we should drop this :P

SergeantAsh

NanoSector

I'm having the same issue.

Although I disabled the notification emails I am still getting them :(
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Advertisement: