News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RC4 Package Manager

Started by MattWT, November 13, 2010, 11:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattWT

Hello,

Upgraded my forum to RC3 from RC4, using the LARGE upgrade package.

Now, I uploaded the files, overwriting the old ones, then ran the upgrade, without any errors.

Everything appears fine, except for package manager.

I have tried to install various packages, such as,
Simple Portal 2.3.3.
Dream Portal 1.0.3

All RC4 compatible.

I'll upload the package and chose to install it.

All the tests pass, without any errors. It will happily throw me the message that it has been installed successfully.

Now the problem occurs, it has not installed anything. The files have not changed, at all. I've checked the permissions, all appear fine, key directories writeable.

Packages/ and the folders temp/ and backups/ are writeable, so is installed.list

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Matt W-T

MattWT

Matt W-T

snork13

hey there,

fwiw, i have been getting the same on some modifications, but not all. I'm looking into the problem. I'm hoping it is server configurations. I will need to update my local smf for testing and see if i can duplicate the issues.

-snork13
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

KensonPlays

try the fresh install, but don't upload Settings.php, Settings_bak.php, or install.php (or any install***.sql files), that might help.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

snork13

Quote from: Kcmartz on November 15, 2010, 10:26:04 AM
try the fresh install, but don't upload Settings.php, Settings_bak.php, or install.php (or any install***.sql files), that might help.

that would assumes that the files are different in upgrade, update, and full, which they should not be.
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

MattWT

Quote from: snork13 on November 15, 2010, 10:10:21 AM
hey there,

fwiw, i have been getting the same on some modifications, but not all. I'm looking into the problem. I'm hoping it is server configurations. I will need to update my local smf for testing and see if i can duplicate the issues.

-snork13

I havn't found one modification that it will install on, tried around 10, happens to all of them
Matt W-T

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: MattWT on November 15, 2010, 12:23:07 PM

I havn't found one modification that it will install on, tried around 10, happens to all of them

Perhaps there is something amiss in your upgrade. I've upgraded 5 of my forums and have not had one problem installing mods.
Just curious, which mods are not installing for you?
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

snork13

i just installed a clean full install on my localhost and all is working. i'm looking into server configuration as being part of the issues.
Mods

snork13

I have this error in my log, which i think is related. However all the file are writable.

package_flush_cache(): some files are still not writable

the problem seems to be in the temp folder, the owner is right for the folder, but the file owner is wrong, making it impossible to use the cache correctly.
Mods

MattWT

I have just looked in the log to get the same error:

512: package_flush_cache(): some files are still not writeable

Although, the file is not owned by root, and is 777, any ideas?
Matt W-T

Kindred

I have seen this issue on sites which have problems with chown... the forum thinks it is modifying those files but the modifications are never actually saved because the file is not allowed to be saved...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MattWT

So why does SMF not throw an error about it instead of telling you that the modification was successfully installed?
Matt W-T

Kindred

because it thinks that the changes WERE done...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MattWT

Therefore..., it needs extra coding to check...? I,e..., check the file edits exist after installation...?

Changing PHP handling from DSO mode to SuPHP seems to have done the trick..., will try on another DSO server later to see what the differences in configs were...
Matt W-T

Kindred

the problem is that, much as we try...   we can't foresee EVERY possible configuration of every server....   :P
Слaва
Украинi

snork13

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2010, 11:37:42 AM
the problem is that, much as we try...   we can't foresee EVERY possible configuration of every server....   :P

i knew it was server config, thanks kindred :) i just need to check php on this server
Mods

studiowi33

So what am I to do to solve the issue? (The last 3-4 replies were WAY over my head.) I can't delete a mod and when I try to install a mod, the page after "Proceed" is a blank white page that just hangs.
Flashchat won't even load. I get the 'load settings' page, and nothing happens after that.

Thanks for any insight.
SMF 2.0.2

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can manually make sure all the files the modification needs to alter, are chmod 777 (or 755 depending on config) BEFORE you try to install the mod.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

IceXaos

Just a thought .. Have you tried clearing the cache, before/after installing?

snork13

I have tried all that, including global permissions as well. it's the way php is setup causing the issue!
Mods

Advertisement: