News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to manually install package? 777

Started by s93, November 22, 2010, 01:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s93

Hi!
Iv'e started my forum 2days ago and now i am finished with the design but i have one problem. I CAN'T install packages,
I get this ERROR : "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Iv'e tried to set the package map file permission to 777 and that didn't help :-\

So my question is, how to install packages manually? and can i fix this problem?

Kindred

make sure that the packages directory is chmod 777 (or maybe 755, depending on your server config)
also, make sure that the packages directory has a subdirectory called temp.

Manually...   you could try uploading the mod package directly into the package directory via your ftp program...

or read the mod parse information on each mod page and manually make those changes to the files as noted.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

s93

Quote from: Kindred on November 22, 2010, 02:28:35 PM
make sure that the packages directory is chmod 777 (or maybe 755, depending on your server config)
also, make sure that the packages directory has a subdirectory called temp.

Manually...   you could try uploading the mod package directly into the package directory via your ftp program...

or read the mod parse information on each mod page and manually make those changes to the files as noted.
What is chmod777? iv'e already tried 777 but it didn't worked because it changing back automatically to 755 by it self :/ how to fix it? or is it something i missed

Kindred

how are you trying to change it to chmod 777?

What hosting service do you use?   Some will not allow 777....   but 755 should be acceptable.

Does your packages directory have a temp subdirectory?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

s93

Quote from: Kindred on November 22, 2010, 02:41:29 PM
how are you trying to change it to chmod 777?

What hosting service do you use?   Some will not allow 777....   but 755 should be acceptable.

I've got www(.)110mb(.)com hosting, and i have only that problem with the smf forum map. Iv'e changes the filepermission with filezilla ftp :)
Iv'e tried to change in the browser but with no result :/

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

s93

Quote from: Kindred on November 22, 2010, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: Kindred on November 22, 2010, 02:41:29 PM

i created a map called "temp" so Yes :) but that didn't help :/

Kindred

what is a map?

what is the chmod permission on the files/subdirectories IN the packages directory?
Слaва
Украинi

s93

Quote from: Kindred on November 22, 2010, 02:58:24 PM
what is a map?

what is the chmod permission on the files/subdirectories IN the packages directory?

I'm sorry in Sweden we call directory for map ^^, my permissions are 755 so it should work with those settings

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Casa Grande

I'm having the same problem installing mods on my forum.  I've been using SMF for a long time and I just changed servers and upgraded from RC3 to RC4. Now, I can't change any mods and the forum keeps telling me my permissions are not right which they are.  I have manually changed the chmod and I have used both 755 and 777.  I have also added a "temp" directory to my "Packages" directory with a chmod of both 755 and 777.  Nothing is working.   Plus, if I manually upload the zip file mod to my Packages directory and go to the "Browse" screen, it doesn't show up. ??????  This is annoying and I can't seem to find a good answer for this anywhere on the forum.

Any help is appreciated!
DAvid

sarah0811

I too am having the exact same problem as David described above. I also just moved servers.. everything worked fine before the move...

s93

Bigguy

Is ownership set to you or apache. ??? You might have to login through ftp to check this. If your name is present after each file and folder than ownership is set right. If there is a 99 after any file or folder then apache has taken ownership and you will not be able to change anything until the host returns ownership to you. I do not know any other way to check for ownership other than through ftp.

mortymoose

I also have a similar problem, but not with all mods. I only have 2 mods I wish to use.

The shoutbox went up no problem, then the quiz would'nt, error returned.

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

All the files are writable, I have tried via FTP to check ownership, but cannot see any 99 or ownership name after the files....

Appreciate any furthers discussion to this "issue"

thanks

Morty!
:)

Bigguy

Check that all your files and folders have the right permissions. Ask your host what is proper to be using with their server.

Advertisement: