All themes designers: next page, please!

Started by cokekola, November 23, 2010, 02:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cokekola

I would ask all designers to add "next page" button and possibly "previous page" button also for browsing topics.

The list of pages "Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 250" often tends to be quite tiny. Elderly people can have diffculties hitting right page numbers. (Yes, there are even elderly people using forums, by growing numbers :))

This could be: Pages: <prev> 1 2 [3] 4 5...250 <next>. At least <prev> and <next> could be a bit larger buttons also for people with challenged sight.

bloc

Not a bad idea actually. I'll certainly see if I can work with that in my themes.

What other options would make browsing forums easier you think? Sometimes designers tend to forget that not all are super-users or young eyes(mine are 43 years old so I def. see the benefit lmao) :)

Illori

make sure that the font color for links are a different color so people will not miss inline links.

check the background color for quotes/codes to make sure the font used there is still able to be read.

some people have trouble reading fonts when the color is somewhat close to the same as the background.

for example looking at your ModernDark64 theme the quote text is gray and the background to the quote is also gray, a lot of people will find that hard to read as the font does not pop off the background.

Kindred

Do remember that not everyone will like every theme.

Personally, I *DISLIKE* themes where the font "pops" off the screen... I tend to like muted greys (I did a greyscale version of the curve theme for one of my sites)   but that is personal choice.

So, saying "All theme designers" is a bit presumptuous. :)     I'd say, rather...  "Hey you theme designers, please make some themes which work well for vision-impaired type users"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

Personally I'm not sure why this (the original request) wasn't done already...
Thank you for the proposal.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

bloc

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2010, 09:24:14 AM
Do remember that not everyone will like every theme.

Personally, I *DISLIKE* themes where the font "pops" off the screen... I tend to like muted greys (I did a greyscale version of the curve theme for one of my sites)   but that is personal choice.

So, saying "All theme designers" is a bit presumptuous. :)     I'd say, rather...  "Hey you theme designers, please make some themes which work well for vision-impaired type users"

Sure. But these are usability issues, something which every webdsign, be it page or forum, should take into account.

Kindred

well, the prev and next.... sure.... however, the request on colors and fonts is a preference issue. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

cokekola

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2010, 09:24:14 AM

My most sincere apologies. Truly my intention was not to be presumptuous at all. As you might have guessed, English is not my first language. (I had to turn to the dictionary even to find out the meaning of 'presumptuous'.) My only excusei is that the subject of the message didn't sound so bad in my native language.

Kindred

no worries...   (see the smiley face)

you write English very well.
Слaва
Украинi

bloc

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2010, 11:02:15 AM
well, the prev and next.... sure.... however, the request on colors and fonts is a preference issue. :)
Ehm, I was actually thinking that links that are not visible are a bigger issue than whether prev/next buttons are there. :D After all, links are fundamental, the buttons are specific to forums. A webpage would not have these normally.

There is a tendency today to minimise links by color, and "push forward" others(by lessening contrast on the others), resulting in grey-upon-grey links/text. A bad practice actually, because typography can be so much more. I am guilty of this too.

Antechinus

I've already done the next/previous pages for 1.1x and it's easy to adapt to 2.0. However, it's difficult to do it for custom themes as it requires some Sources edits. Really it needs to be done as either a mod or a core feature (for future releases).

There's a thread about it here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=210212.msg2546827#msg2546827

Working example on this site: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?board=2.0

Advertisement: