getting spam from smf guests

Started by dwykofka, November 23, 2010, 12:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwykofka

I am getting a ton of spam from smf guests generated from the index.php file.

Like this guy:
IP address     Display name     Message     Date
91.195.183.215    Guest    8: Undefined index: manual_entry_modify_profile_desc
?action=help    Today at 11:56:33 AM
91.195.183.215    Guest    8: Undefined index: manual_entry_modify_profile_auth
91.195.183.215    Guest    8: Undefined index: manual_entry_modify_profile_desc
91.195.183.215    Guest    8: Undefined index: manual_entry_profile_info_desc

Mail Headers:
Subject: UNTvVNzBRuPRrHoHEbm
X-PHP-Script: www.just199.com/forums/index.php [nofollow] for 10.5.224.1, 91.195.183.215
X-ASG-Orig-Subj: UNTvVNzBRuPRrHoHEbm
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:56:42 -0000
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-858188745d8c9a1658c5c1adc12c146a"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Kindred

yes....   and?

What is your question?

Spam is an unfortunate feature of the internet. Any time you put your email anywhere others can read it, you will get spam.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dwykofka

No the problem is that they are the spam is coming from SMF via guest users that are not members.

QuoteX-PHP-Script: www.just199.com/forums/index.php [nofollow]
This is where the spam emails are being generated from.

Kindred

Do you have your email address listed on the site?

Do you have a "Contact the Admin" anywhere?
Are guests allowed to see email addresses?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sawz

spamming your forum? don't allow guest posting.

someone using your email address to spam? not smf's problem.

hows that $1.99 hosting treating you? you offer hosting but cannot deal with a spam problem?
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

dwykofka

Yes I think that is the issue here.

I can click on my profile when I am logged out and send form-mail to myself.

Kindred

so, remove the permission for guests to send email
Слaва
Украинi

dwykofka

Quote from: sawz on November 23, 2010, 12:13:01 PM
spamming your forum? don't allow guest posting.

someone using your email address to spam? not smf's problem.

hows that $1.99 hosting treating you? you offer hosting but cannot deal with a spam problem?

This response is a bit immature, I am here dealing with it and I am not blaming smf. I guess it's bad form to ask for some direction here?

Oldiesmann

The "undefined index" errors are due to missing language strings. All of those should be in the "Manual" language file, so make sure your language files are up to date.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dwykofka

Thanks I will look into the error.

Just trying to find the permissions to disallow email via guests. I was able to disable profile viewing for guests which I guess will work but I did not see an option for allowing email contact in the guest user group.

sawz

Quote from: dwykofka on November 23, 2010, 12:15:47 PMI am not blaming smf. I guess it's bad form to ask for some direction here?
Quote from: dwykofka on November 23, 2010, 12:10:22 PM
No the problem is ... the spam is coming from SMF via guest users that are not members.

first you blame smf now your not blaming smf. make up your mind please.

hows that for immature.

Bigguy

Quote from: sawz on November 23, 2010, 12:24:06 PM

first you blame smf now your not blaming smf. make up your mind please.

hows that for immature.

Very...and your support helper of the month, holy crap. That's not how you give support.

dwykofka

And your the SMF "Support Helper of the Month"?

Get down off your high horse, I never blamed SMF for anything, I stated that the emails were being generated by smf's index.php. Yes this was a configuration error and that was my assumption all along, it's not my fault that you feel like you need to be so defensive. As an advertiser here it really pisses me off to get this kind of arrogant treatment.

1. The internet is not out to get you, although looking at your responses here maybe it is out to get me..
2. It's ok if people seek advice from their vendors support forums, after all I am a professional webhost not an SMF Coder.. And that's ok, really it is.
3. If you dont want to help just dont

Kindred

please ignore him...

sawz...   inappropriate and unnecessary.

as for your problem, dwykofka,

smf admin > Security and Moderation > General >
Do not reveal contact details of members to guests (make checked)
and
Allow viewable email addresses (make unchecked)

Слaва
Украинi

dwykofka

Kindred

note: yes.... I removed the flame posts.
Слaва
Украинi

sawz

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2010, 02:31:47 PM
note: yes.... I removed the flame posts.

what flame post? where i said i didn't care? where i said i didn't ask to be a support helper? wheres the flame.

really lame that you removed my post.
how about you remove that trophy and title from my profile and don't ever do that to me again.

Bigguy

You came in here accusing and putting people down. If you didn't want the damn trophy then YOU should not have excepted it...right. nuf said.

Advertisement: