News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hands up those who are happy/safe with SMF 2.x

Started by himagain2, November 25, 2010, 06:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

himagain2

Hi people,
Of course any one with problems with SMF 2 is here, but how many people are happy with their installation of it, so far?
How many people have downloaded it and actually put it to work in a real environment?
(Especially with the warnings not to.......  :-0 )

AND if someone out there has implemented a payable subscription version, who isn't a full-fledged nerd, please tell me!)

I AM about to try it out, but I'm running out of time on a project that requires a subscription function and I've just tried to install
V 1.1.1 thru Fantastico and *it* failed on multiple counts....  :-(

(We really need a Poll capacity here to get some ideas of numbers)

Thanks in advance for any encouragement,

Himagain

Illori

there is a paid subscription part for 2.0 already enable it in core features in admin.

Deaks

himagain ive been using 2.0 since 2007 when I joined the SMF tyeam and I use it all the time, and im happy with it with little issues (granted my forum now is full of former team members).  As Illori stated the feature you want is already default in 2.0, best advice is test the forum yourself.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

himagain2

Hy Bryan,
Thanks, but you don't qualify!  :-)
I need encouragement from non-nerdy people  who are more end-user-oriented.
BUT did you implement the paid subscription option?

I'm surprised I've never heard of anyone using it out there. 

Cheers!

Deaks

Im using it :)

And im not nerdy im geeky, also hippie and freaky no nerdy in me :)

I was also on Customization (Themes Team) and Marketing nothing very nerdy about them :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

himagain2

Quote from: Runic on November 26, 2010, 06:46:57 PM
Im using it :)

And im not nerdy im geeky, also hippie and freaky no nerdy in me :)

I was also on Customization (Themes Team) and Marketing nothing very nerdy about them :P

Hi Runic,
You don't think that your previous experience  disqualifies you??
BTW:  http://xkcd.com/747/ [nofollow]
(You have to mouseover the central part of the image a bit)

Most of my experience is similar to the "civilian" audience who watch the fantabulous  "Big Bang Theory" and can't see what *I* find so funny.
I'm still trying to figure out how I can upload the code for Installatron to my Shared Server.
(It was a snack on my VPS - just followed the bouncing ball as they say.)

Cheers!
BTW2: WHY do we have to keep doing verifications after we are logged in and already posted messages?  At my age it means changing glasses every damn time just for that and still getting it wrong 2 /3 time.

Mick.

himagain2

Quote from: bluedevil on November 26, 2010, 10:59:43 PM
im  using rc3 and happy.    see my siggy  ;)
Nice Site BlueD,
BUT no money....   
I see you have a lot to do with V2, do you know anyone who has implemented the paid subs option?

Cheers!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I use RC4, and I use the paid subs - through PayPal - with no problems :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Mick.

Quote from: himagain2 on November 27, 2010, 02:46:39 AM
Quote from: bluedevil on November 26, 2010, 10:59:43 PM
im  using rc3 and happy.    see my siggy  ;)
Nice Site BlueD,
BUT no money....   
I see you have a lot to do with V2, do you know anyone who has implemented the paid subs option?

Cheers!

I use the paid subs too;)

Acans

Quote from: himagain2 on November 26, 2010, 06:42:03 PM
I need encouragement from non-nerdy people  who are more end-user-oriented.

* ѕησω put's his hand up!
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Deaks

himagain2, verification is only until you get 10 posts, so you should be able to put your other glasses down now :)

The best way for you to know if you like 2.0 is to install it on a test site, remember 2.0 is still in development process so there are a few bugs (most you will never see) but does mean that you will have anolther update when final comesout, alternativley wait till 2.0 comes out and upgrade, as this is when you will see the team pushing people to upgrade even more lol.

bluedevil: you know you should update :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Suki

I use RC3  and wait until 2.0 final comes to upgrade, and yeah, Im very hapy with my forum ^^
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Mick.

Quote from: Runic on November 27, 2010, 07:39:23 AM
bluedevil: you know you should update :P

What?  Lol.  I have 45 mods installed and about a hundred manual edits.   Hehehe, not now.

Deaks

terrible i mod manual edits up just for that reason :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

himagain2

Quote from: Runic on November 25, 2010, 09:37:56 AM
himagain  when I joined the SMF tyeam and I use it all the time, and im happy with it with little issues (granted my forum now is full of former team members).  As Illori stated the feature you want is already default in 2.0, best advice is test the forum yourself.

Hi Runic,
Just looking back over the answers and realised you said "  ive been using 2.0 since 2007" !  Hope that was a typo!
Otherwise it is a looooong time between releases............
There I am expecting it momentarily - as I want to try it on a a play machine which is Shared - a bit difficult as Scripters only want to include released programs.
Guess I could try a manual install on my other VPS - never had to do it  in 10 years as there was Fantastico et al and finally my great hope HyperVm/LXadmin (now Kloxo).  It had a good installer builtin, but with the suicide of the project owner, it has basically stopped.

But still nobody mentioned using the paid membership option.

Looks like I may be the first! (Again)
I actually had the first paid subscriber Site on the Net we think, back in '94.
Finally gave money back and gave up for a few years while I came out of retirement and tried to learn Server Jockeying. 
Still have never had a server that stayed up under ANY reasonable traffic at all.
Kept getting "estimates" equal to sending a man to the moon - and then along came Marcus Frend with his $500 P.C. and started what rapidly became the world's biggest dating service: Plentyoffish.com [nofollow] , on his dining room table.

So, I knew it was possible, but as a programmer, I make a great psychologist.

I'll look into how I can set V2.0 up for a trial, but I don't suppose it has much in the way of docs, either, yet?

Cheers!

Paul_Pauline

QuoteJust looking back over the answers and realised you said "  ive been using 2.0 since 2007" !  Hope that was a typo! 

That was not a typo   :-X
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Advertisement: