News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

safe mode

Started by Byohki, July 06, 2005, 05:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byohki

My host got a safe mode turned on and their not willing to turn it off, but they did said that I was able to get around it, does someone maybe know how to do that?
I was able to install the forum without any problems.. But now I'm not able to install skins and mods.. I know how to install skins without the ACP but not mods.. :(

I keep getting this message:

2: fopen(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 1119 is not allowed to access /opt/guide/www.dignion.nl/HTML6/Forum/Packages/temp owned by uid 99
File: /opt/guide/www.dignion.nl/HTML6/Forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1476

Sorry btw if this is the wrong section..  :-[
Check this out..!!
[nofollow]

[Unknown]

The package manager will not work with hosts who use safe mode but not PHP suExec.

-[Unknown]

Byohki

Ah ok, then I need to discuss it with the host.. :(
Check this out..!!
[nofollow]

rustynails

If you're under an Apache environment that has this option enabled, but you're on shared hosting so have no access to php.ini, you can unset this value for your own site by placing the following in an .htaccess file in the root:

php_flag register_globals 0

The ini_set() function actually accomplishes nothing here, since the variables will have already been created by the time the script processes the ini file change.

And since this is the security chapter, just as a side note, another thing that's helpful to put into your .htaccess is:

<Files ".ht*">
deny from all
</Files>

That way no one can load .htaccess in their browser and have a peek at its contents.

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.register-globals
The link has an  example written.

//   .htaccess generator. Don't miss that the ( . ) needs to be there on the front
http://www.htmlbasix.com/ 

JustJa

I have the same situation, my host will not turnoff the safe mode :(
So, do you mean all I have to do is put on the root  a  .htaccess file with just this written inside?
Quote from: rustynails on July 07, 2005, 08:39:56 PM
php_flag register_globals 0
Just like that? nothing more?

Oldiesmann

The proper string is php_flag register_globals off, but turning off Register Globals won't make the package manager work and won't change the safe mode setting (which can only be modified by your host by directly editing php.ini).

Tell your host to use open_basedir instead of Safe Mode. It provides the same security that safe mode does (preventing users from accessing other users' files and directories) without the annoying issues caused by not using phpSuExec (which makes PHP run as each individual user instead of as "nobody" (the default Apache user)).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

SMF 1.1 should be fine with safe_mode, although I still would suggest using it only if you are using suExec as well.

-[Unknown]

JustJa

Thanks Oldiesman, i´ll try  ;)

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 12, 2005, 03:10:27 PM
I still would suggest using it only if you are using suExec as well.
-[Unknown]
I have to ask the guys if they are using this... (hope they do!)
The only problem with 1.1 is the languages that are not ready yet :( if not I would be already using it :)

JayBachatero

Which language Portuguese i believe right?  It's there zip | tar.gz | tar.bz2
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Oldiesmann

They're all there. They're at the bottom of the listing (below the ones for 1.0.x and (in your case) 1.1 Beta 4).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

JustJa

Quote from: JayBachatero on September 12, 2005, 05:43:51 PM
Which language Portuguese i believe right?  It's there zip | tar.gz | tar.bz2
It is almost the same, but still not.. It is brazilian portuguese...
But I think it kan do for a while..

Oldiesmann

I didn't know that the Brazilian version of Portuguese was all that different than the Portuguese version.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

JayBachatero

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 13, 2005, 12:23:31 PM
I didn't know that the Brazilian version of Portuguese was all that different than the Portuguese version.

Same here.  I guess a different dialect same as spanish in some places same words mean different things.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

JustJa

:) Well it is possible to understand yes, but sometimes it looks just very strange...
difficult to explain :)

Advertisement: