Control where mods may move topics to

Started by colby2152, November 29, 2010, 02:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

A local mod has the power to move a topic, that is in a board of theirs, to any other board within the forum.  This makes sense for a global mod, but not for a local mod in a lot of cases.  There should be some option available to restrict local mods to move topics from the boards they control to only the boards they control.
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

colby2152

ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Kindred

it would be a fairly complicated thing to do with permissions tracking and restriction...    I can't say that I see the need for it, since it has never been requested or even mentioned before.   This is something that could be handled by rules rather than code...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

colby2152

Quote from: Kindred on December 14, 2010, 03:43:39 PM
it would be a fairly complicated thing to do with permissions tracking and restriction...    I can't say that I see the need for it, since it has never been requested or even mentioned before.   This is something that could be handled by rules rather than code...

What do you mean - rules?

Kindred

i.e. explain the rules of your board to your moderators.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

colby2152

Quote from: Kindred on December 14, 2010, 07:34:08 PM
i.e. explain the rules of your board to your moderators.

I have local and global moderators.  I would prefer to restrict the local moderators from moving topics from outside of their boards.

Spoogs

then remove moderators permission to move topics

colby2152

Quote from: Spoogs on December 14, 2010, 09:30:37 PM
then remove moderators permission to move topics

I want to have local moderators to be able to have the power to move topics - just within their boards.

Kindred

I understand what you want.

I am saying that it would be complicated (which does not mean that it can't or shouldn't be done)
AND (more importantly) I can not see this being really useful or used by the majority of the admins.

I would suggest that you just tell your local mods the rules of moving topics and trust them to not abuse their powers...   otherwise why did you trust them to be mods in the first place?
Слaва
Украинi

colby2152

Kindred, I guess my forum is very unique in which local mods are needed in many boards.  I have hundreds of child boards with individual moderators.  Likewise, the issues with a local mod moving a thread out of their boards by accident isn't much of an issue except:

1) The fact they can do it makes it an accident that can happen again.
2) They can't move it back because they may not be a local mod of the board they moved it to in the first place.

Any way this can be moved to the Mod Request or Pay section?

Kindred

Well, I am going to leave it here in case on of the developers gets a bright idea and wants to do it...

You can/should, however, make a new post in the mod requests section.
Слaва
Украинi

niko

For those who are interested, SMF has almost complete code required for limiting boards moderators can move to, it's just commented out. Don't know why... (Code in 1.1 is more complete than one in 2.0). Should be very easy to make mod, maybe job for several minutes?
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

colby2152

Quote from: Niko on December 20, 2010, 03:00:07 PM
For those who are interested, SMF has almost complete code required for limiting boards moderators can move to, it's just commented out. Don't know why... (Code in 1.1 is more complete than one in 2.0). Should be very easy to make mod, maybe job for several minutes?

Seriously?  I would jump all over this if a mod could help out.  I could even pay someone to do it.

Advertisement: