Line length after crash!

Started by mortymoose, December 01, 2010, 01:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortymoose

Good Morning fellow SMF'ers, here 's a tricky one....

I am running 2.0 RC4.

I had a database crash a week back, I managed to restore from a backup and at the sametime upgraded to RC 4 from RC 1. I then installed Neo's Shoutbox mod as it was running on my previous board..... There was much applause as the forum went back live, I waited for people to report any errors..... for a whole week nothing. On my side everything looked fine, everyone around the world was rejoicing, except one chap that sent the following message to me:

"My posts now appear with a line length of three words and sometimes run to half a metre in length. Still readable but very irritating. If cut and pasted to a separate screen the line length shows up normally. It makes for a very slow way of reading and hardly worth the exasperation it causes."

I thought it was the chap's browser, but he reckons all the other sites he visits are fine and this only happens on the forum and only started to happen after my "crash"

How can my side be fine but his not.....?

Any advice on where to start?

Thanking you in advance...

Morty  :)

Road Rash Jr.

i'd do a poll to see if it's happening to others, I'd get him to send in a capture of it.
Post it here if he sends you one, it would be interesting to see what he's talking about.
Is this happening to your posts too or not?
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

mortymoose

Hi Road Rash, thanks for the response....

None of my other users have mentioned this, my side is 100%

The chap lives in NZ, so he is sleeping right now, I will  ask him to screen capture and I shall paste...

Cheers

Morty

Drunken Clam

A link to your site might be useful too!  ;)

mortymoose

Ok, my member has sent me a snap of his screen.

I still think it has something to do with his side of things (ie. PC setting), but then, why only my forum shows up like that and not other websites?

Thanks for the interest....

Illori

looks like the font size has been increased greatly on this person's pc. this will effect the ability to view the website correctly. they should try decreasing the font size back to normal and see if that helps. am i correct that this same post can be seen on your system with no problems?

mortymoose

Thanks Illori, Yes, you are correct, on my PC, everything seems fine, on the members PC, it is enlarged.... he reckons all his other websites are fine, just the forum is enlarged...

Drunken Clam

It looks like he has maybe inadvertently activated the 'zoom' feature in Firefox.

Ask him to go to your site then hold down the 'Ctrl' key and press the '-' key until the text is the correct size.

HTH  ;)

mortymoose

Drunken Clam, My member and I thank you for your advice, so simple but effective....

Thanks!

:)

Drunken Clam

My pleasure, glad to have helped.  ;)

Advertisement: