News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Corrupt Database

Started by thebofh, December 01, 2010, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebofh

I've been running SMF for a couple of years with several mods installed & uninstalled over that period & have upgraded many times to the point where the database is now corrupt. I've tried installing a fresh copy of SMF & importing the old database & it's still hosed. The forum works, there are a couple of functions that don't work properly, but it's really the back end that is toast, I can't add blocks to Simple Portal, the Karma system is missing, all sorts of odd stuff.

I have successfully ported the database into PhpBB along with all the members, posts & PMs as a test. Is there a way to repair the database? I can try converting to PhpBB & back again if that would work to clean it up? I've just noticed that the collation of many of the tables is latin1_swedish_ci, this is supposed to be utf8_general_ci. Can I change this for the whole database or do I have to do each table individually?

Deaks

go into php my admin, find you db prefix, and select them all then at bottom click on repair (its in a dropdown)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Norv

What errors exactly are you getting?

Quote from: thebofh on December 01, 2010, 09:49:44 AM
I've just noticed that the collation of many of the tables is latin1_swedish_ci, this is supposed to be utf8_general_ci. Can I change this for the whole database or do I have to do each table individually?
I would recommend caution with this. Which tables are latin1_swedish_ci, and which ones are utf8_general_ci?
Also, what collation have the columns themselves, in a latin1 table, and what collation have they in an utf8 table?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: