restore db from backup

Started by vypr, December 03, 2010, 12:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vypr

Hi all.
I did a search for this but got even more confused.
I have been having alot of trouble with my forum lately. Mainly getting database error emails. and last night many of my user accounts were scrambled up.
I also get sql errors when trying to ad packages and whatnot.
So my idea is to backup my users/posts and such wipe the server files clean and download and install smf all over then once its up again. restore my db from the backup.
now all I have to do to back up the db is to use the maintenence tab right? back it up to my computer (its not too large 7mb). but after that I get confused. how do I put all the content back in?
Thanks in advance

vypr

ok so I did some playing and used the myphpadmin to inport the backup from my computer I downloaded 2 mins before. it gave me a huge page of gibberish errors.
I cant decipher any of it. the last line says

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '** This file contains an SQLite 2.1 database **' at line 1
Ideas?

Illori

do you have an mysql backup or a backup for another type of database? how did you get the first backup you attempted?

vypr

the back  up I used was from my smf forum, in the maintenence section.
Id like to just wipe it out and start over. I just need to  know what part to transfer from my server to my cpu then back to the server so I can maintain my posts and my users

Illori

How do I backup my database?
How do I restore a database backup?

you need to make sure you backup any avatars/attachments and settings.php files.

Deaks

vypr, as you have not updated this in a month I am going to persume that you have it solved and mark it as such, if this is incorrect please let us know what else if anything you have tried, and we will continue to assist you.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: