Packet manager not working

Started by tuxii, December 13, 2010, 06:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxii

After 2.0 RC3 update to 2.0 RC4, I cannot install any mods. Previous mods present at forum I have uninstalled and removed, but on server I can still see those packages installed :-\ . I can upload package mods, but when it comes to installation, problem begins. It says I can't download and install mod because Packages directory is not writable. I've checked that, but directory is writable. Tried to give it only read permission and then back r-w permission, but it's always the same error :( . Any hint what's going on here, or what to check?
tnx

JBlaze

Check to make sure there is a ./tmp directory inside the ./Packages directory, and CHMOD it to 775 or 777.

If that doesn't work, check and make sure your FTP credentials have not changed, or if they have, clear your browsers cookies and re-enter the FTP login when promted upon install of the package.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Baby Daisy

Just remember that it should be called temp as opposed to tmp.
あなたは私のお尻にキスするとき、私はそれを愛する

tuxii

This has just partly solved the problem...Now I can install mods, but when I install it and go back to Package manager, there's still "Install modification" state for just installed mod  :o ... and there's no mod cp/settings in admin menu. Tried to empty forum/browser cash, cookies but still the same ...

Kindred

did you go through the full installation process successfully?

It sounds like your host may have mod-security or some other silly thing installed which is preventing smf from writing new files or modifying existing files. (chown and chmod)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tuxii

yes I went through whole update process and it said it was successful - updated with small package. Mods I had installed were simple portal, aeva media, guests do not enter and good/bad post. Somehow simple portal now shows in forum and in admin panel, but in package manager it stands it's not installed  :o ... and cannot install any other mod  :( ...

Kindred

sounds like the installed file in the package directory may not be writable.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tuxii

when I upload mod through package manager, it gets 777 permission in Packages directory. Then when I continue to install mod, It says I can't download or install mod because Packages directory is not writable. Packages directory has 755 permission ...

Kindred

as before, packages/temp directory...

I suspect that your host may have some screwy configuration regarding permissions and file ownership.

Слaва
Украинi

tuxii

so how can I solve the problem with screwed permissions? Would clean install solve this? Should I install 2.0 RC4 or 2.0 RC3 and then upgrade again? :-\

Kindred

well, if it is a file/directory ownership (chown) problem, then you'll have to talk with your host.

Is this a new forum or does it have existing data?
Слaва
Украинi

tuxii

until I upgraded it, everything was working OK ... yes, it has existing data

Kindred

Well, I suggest that
(FIRST: TAKE A BACKUP)
you should DELETE the packages directory, the Sources Directory and the Themes/Default directory
then upload fresh files/directories from the large upgrade pack.
Слaва
Украинi

tuxii

deleting of packages/sources/Themes-default directories has just partly solved problem. Now I can install other languages and themes, but problem with mods still remains  ??? ... I guess I'll have to make clean install :-\ ... anyway thanks for help  ;)

Kindred

yup, since you saw a result from doing that, it is most definitely a problem with the way your host has set up the ownership/permissions of directories and files. :(

Sorry.....
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: