News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Delete messages without phisically deleting them

Started by devoetbalkantine, December 14, 2010, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoetbalkantine

Is it possible in SMF to delete messages so they are not visible for users but they are to moderators and administrators? In V-Bulletin that is possible. When you delete a message, it will show as a single line which unfolds when you click it.

In SMF, when I delete a message, it's completely gone. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible with SMF?

Spoogs

Admin>Forum>Boards>Settings... Enable Recycle Bin
You will want to create a specific board for this.

wtfgfrofl

be more specific, what you mean by "Messages" ? PM's Or Posts/Topics?

Here's A Helpful Link: How do I ask support questions the smart way?
and: How can I get my problems solved faster?

-WTFGFROFL.

Spoogs

Its specific enough being that moderators wouldnt have access to someones PM's unless reported.

wtfgfrofl

.. many new users are requesting the option to see the PM's of users as an administrator, so with his post, he may be meaning that he needs PM's to be shown to admins once deleted.

however, i understand his point now. :)

Antechinus

We are NOT going to provide the option of seeing people's PM's. This is a standing SMF policy regardless of what anyone else says, new user or otherwise.

wtfgfrofl

as i far as i know, it's considered as a crime .. for breaking someones privacy.

and it's illegal.

i was just pointing out how i understood his idea :P

-WTFGFROFL.

devoetbalkantine

Just to be clear, I do not want to read PM's. I just want messages that are deleted (due to violation of rules etc) to still be visible for moderators in case we have to discuss the matter.

The recycle option is good enough for now. The thing that bugs me is that it is not in the topic itself anymore but I will keep on looking for other options. Thanks guys

Spoogs

You can also try this mod.. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1128

it will allow you to simply unapprove the posts instead of deleting them... they will remain in topic

devoetbalkantine

That modification doesn't want to install for some reason

Spoogs

Spoogs

Admin>>Packages>>Advanced
Emulate version 2.0RC4 and it will install and work just fine

devoetbalkantine

I installed it but when I click the unapprove button it sends me to the admin page with warnings etc.

Spoogs

Post Moderation needs to be turned on
Admin>>Configuration>>Core Features

devoetbalkantine

Advertisement: