New Install-FTP-File Size Differences?

Started by kenh99, July 08, 2005, 07:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenh99

Been trying to install SMF. Have read the readme and followed install instructions. Had some problems w/FTP pgm dropping folders/files but 1 by 1 went back and insured all files/folders uploaded to server. Whew! what a pain! LOL

Now, after all installed, can not get the install routine to start. I'm sure that I am browsing to the correct SMF folder I created .Checked file properties on files in SMF root, i.e. Settings.php, Settings_bak.php, install.php, etc...all are 777 after CHMODS as instructed in readme/install guide.

However, I found that file sizes differ from whats in the SMF-zip extract on my pc and what was uploaded to server. These files have different sizes: install.php, Settings.php, Settings_bak.php. No matter how many times I delete them on server and re-upload they end up smaller than the original file size.

Is this normal???

I've tried 2 different ftp pgms, Core FTP LE and File-Zilla FTP. Still get diff file sizes.

Also, it wasn't in the readme, but do I need to create a MySQL DB before attempting to run the install program?

If it matters, my host is Lunarpages, linux.

Really looking forward to getting SMF working...but this is my first attempt at installing such a program.

my site is:  hxxp:www.dorchesteresd.org [nonactive]

and SMF installed to: hxxp:www.dorchesteresd.org/forum/smf/ [nonactive]

Any help sincerely appreciated.

Ken

kenh99

Fixed the problem, wasn't aware that host (Lunarpages) offered auto install via Fantastico...it worked great!

Now starting to muddle thru all the various set-up features.

K

[Unknown]

Sometimes you will get filesize differences when you use a Windows computer and upload to a Linux server.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: