Mambo SMF Bridge 1.1.1

Started by alphagator, December 21, 2010, 09:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphagator

I downloaded 1.1.1 and installed it. When I try to config I get this

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/aot/public_html/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php on line 152

Also when I try to sync users I get this

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/aot/public_html/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php on line 565

Warning: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/aot/public_html/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php on line 588

Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Kindred

are mambo and smf in the same database?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

alphagator

I will have to double check. Since I installed SMF many months ago my guess is no it is not.

Would it be easier to uninstall and reinstall? I have nothing to backup. All my data is in PHPbb3 which I hope to migrate if I can get the bridge working.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

alphagator

so Mambo and SMF should be installed using same database and database user?

alphagator

ouch,

I just realized that installing via fantastico or softaculous does not enable me to choose a database to intal to. Its created on the fly.

Any suggestions?

Kindred

don't use those installation methods?

get the installation pack from downloads.simplemachines.org
upload to your server, extract files and run install.php
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Im a bit of a newb when it coms to that. I can download the app and upload to my server. do I upload to a directory under www root such as alphaomegatheta.com/SMF and then run the installer from that location?

Also do I need ssh access to extract and execute the install.php? And if so, using ssh to run the inatller will produce menu options for me durring install process?

Thats why guys like me rely on fantastico and softaculous.

sorry for so many questions.

Kindred

no ssh access needed.

upload to a directory (yes, SMF will work just fine). That will be your forum directory and url
extract (you can do that usually directly in cpanel file manager)
navigate your web browser to yoursite.com/SMF/install.php
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

OK cool, Im gonna try this later and will let you know how it goes

just to review, it should install to same database as mambo with same database user? After which the sql erros should go away and the bridge should config?

Kindred

same db, same db user (use a different prefix, like smf_ instead of mos_)

you will still have to configure the bridge with the correct path information, but the db error should go away.
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Thanks so much.

it worked, The bridge is now configed and I synched users between Mambo and SMF.

Very nice,

Too bad none of the documentation I read ever informed of the need to install SMF into the same database and database user as Mambo.

Missing Critcal info like that can drive a Noob crazy LOL. I actually read some step by step instructions on this site that left out that very important piece of info. Can I suggest an updated tutorial be posted?

Thanks again for your help  :)

alphagator

Hey Kindered,

I hate to ask so many questions, but I searched this forum for instructions to migrate phpbb3 into SMF.

It worked as far as migrating users and postings, but now all user accounts have their passwords hosed.

I had to have the system send me a link to reset admin password to get back in but it looks like all users will have that issue now.

I suspect that users were migrated twice, first I synched Mambo users with SMF which worked beautifully,

Then I ran the converter which in turn migrated likewise usernames from PHPBB3

Unless I missed something.

Wasnt sure where to post this, feel free to move it is its in the wrong thread.

Thanks

POST EDIT,

I ran the phpbb3 login fix and it said it was successful, however it seemd to hose my Mambo users and groups,

Users cant change passwords on the front end anymore,

While Im logged into mambo as super administrator I cannot change users group memberships. I get error

This Email is already registered. If you forgot the password, click on the "password reminder" and new password will be sent to you.

Kindred

what smf bridge mambots and modules do you have published?   What are the settings for your bridge?

Yes, if you imported from two locations, you probably got double...
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Hi Kindered,

The process I follwed was to;
install SMF,
import users, threads and posts from PHPbb3,
Run PHPbb3 login patch to fix password corrupted accounts after migration
configure SMF to Mambo bridge
synch users between Mambo and SMF

The end result is my user accounts in Mambo are totally hosed. I cant change group membership or passwords for any user.

here is the error I get whenever I try to change a password or group membership in Mambo backend
This Email is already registered. If you forgot the password, click on the "password reminder" and new password will be sent to you.

Users cant change their own passwords on the front end either. They get error that says  Failed form hash

I need a fix for this.

Also, the bridge isnt even doing what its supposed to do, users authenitcated in Mambo are still needing to login to SMF. I believed that once bridged, users could login one time and have access to SMF via Mambo/SMF bridge.

This whats published

Mambots
SMF_login  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  September 2006     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_logout  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  September 2006     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_register  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  December 2006     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_user_ban  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  April 2007     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_user_change  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  April 2007     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_user_delete  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  April 2007     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_user_unban  authenticator  Simple Machines  1.1  April 2007     http://www.simplemachines.org 
SMF_header_include  system  Simple Machines  1.1  August 2006     http://www.simplemachines.org 

Modules
mod_smf_login Sit

Bridge settings are
Configuration -
Path to SMF /home/aot/public_html/SMFmessageboard/
SMF Forum integration:  Wrapped     
Use SMF CSS in other pages?:  Yes
Synchronize Language from Mambo/Joomla to SMF?:  Yes 

Registration
SMF Forum integration:    Use Mambo/Joomla Registration   
Require Registration Agreement:     checked
Ask for ICQ, AIM, YIM, MSN?       checked
Send a SMF PM to the user on registration?      checked
Use real name or username as display?  Real Name

Groups
SMF Group Administrator             Mambo Group super administrator
SMF Group Global Moderator       mambo Group Manager

alphagator

nevermind.

After a full day of getting no input on multiple boards I had my host restore database to the 18th and whiped SMF off my website.

If i had even a hint that installing SMF into the same database as Mambo and bridging the two would totally hose all my Mambo user accounts I never would have tried this.

Thanks anyway, but this software is not for me.

Kindred

sorry to hear that....   

I had personal things to take care of today...

but, as a matter of information, you did not need to sync the mambo/smf users...   they would be synced at the first login with the bridge. Also, did you read: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=199761.msg1269960#msg1269960
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Quote from: Kindred on December 23, 2010, 10:37:49 PM
sorry to hear that....   

but, as a matter of information, you did not need to sync the mambo/smf users...   they would be synced at the first login with the bridge. Also, did you read: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=199761.msg1269960#msg1269960

Just wanted to get back to you Kindered.

I had my web host restore database and cleared up the problem with corruoted user accounts in Mambo. I then went over the steps to set up and bridge SMF, one by one to aviod the same problem again.

This time I synched users from Mambo to SMF but not from SMF to Mambo. It seemed to work OK. No issues with Mambo users account corruption UNTIL, I noticed users registering in Mambo were not getting auto synched by the system after registering. I also noticed that some users were registering on the forum when I had Bridge set for Mambo registration.

This caused mis matched user accounts with access to one side or the other.

Like an idiot I synched from SMF to Mambo to bring the SMF users over to Mambo and THAT corrupted my Mambo users again. Once again any attempt to change any atribute or password for a Mambo user get this message

Once again I am having my hosting service restore database to yesterday to hopefully fix this user account corruption.

I would like to find out how I can assure users can only register on mambo side and get synched autiomaticaly to SMF.

alphagator

Quote from: alphagator on December 27, 2010, 11:16:25 PM
Quote from: Kindred on December 23, 2010, 10:37:49 PM
sorry to hear that....   

Im curious that if I did not need to sync Mambo and SMF users, why did none if the Mambo users migrate into SMF or vice versa? I set the Bridge to register via Mambo, but users are still registering in SMF and the accounts on both sides are not synching on their own.

what am i missing?

Just wanted to get back to you Kindered.

I had my web host restore database and cleared up the problem with corruoted user accounts in Mambo. I then went over the steps to set up and bridge SMF, one by one to aviod the same problem again.

This time I synched users from Mambo to SMF but not from SMF to Mambo. It seemed to work OK. No issues with Mambo users account corruption UNTIL, I noticed users registering in Mambo were not getting auto synched by the system after registering. I also noticed that some users were registering on the forum when I had Bridge set for Mambo registration.

This caused mis matched user accounts with access to one side or the other.

Like an idiot I synched from SMF to Mambo to bring the SMF users over to Mambo and THAT corrupted my Mambo users again. Once again any attempt to change any atribute or password for a Mambo user get this message

Once again I am having my hosting service restore database to yesterday to hopefully fix this user account corruption.

I would like to find out how I can assure users can only register on mambo side and get synched autiomaticaly to SMF.

Kindred

alphagator,

Sorry for the long delay....

I would suggest using the BRIDGE registration function and the BRIDGE login module...

I am unsure of the status on the bridges these days...   but the FAQ post that I linked to has all of the details on how I previously set up my systems to work together.
Once 2.0 final is out, we will be having a developer re-start on the bridges/integrations and things should be cleaner.
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Hi Kindred,

I finnaly got the brideg working smootly and the way I want. Thanks for all your assistance.

I just have one more small detail I need advise with.

Whhne the forum is bridged and wrapped it does not sit inside the boarders of the webpage and it shifts to the bottom of the page.

Is there a way I can adjust the width and hight of the forum when its wrapped so it will sit nice and look like a natural part of my webpage?

Kindred

this would be due to a combination of your smf template (i.e. a minimum or fixed width) and the width of your mambo main section.   You'll have to adjust one or both to sit correctly (I recommend a variable width smf template and a wide main section)
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
this would be due to a combination of your smf template (i.e. a minimum or fixed width) and the width of your mambo main section.   You'll have to adjust one or both to sit correctly (I recommend a variable width smf template and a wide main section)

how would I adjust the width with a variable width template? where do I find one?

Kindred

it depends on the theme you have chosen
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

can you send me a link where I can find templates to choose from?

Does the default template/Theme allow me to adjust the size?

Kindred

The default SMF theme is actually variable width (to a limit on the amount it can shrink) however it sounds like your mambo template is very narrow
Слaва
Украинi

alphagator

Quote from: Kindred on February 02, 2011, 02:06:54 PM
The default SMF theme is actually variable width (to a limit on the amount it can shrink) however it sounds like your mambo template is very narrow

I actually used the default Mambo template but I adjusted the background color to suit my websites motif.

where in SMF can I find the adjustment settings for the default theme? I would like to try to adjust that before looking for a new theme.

I did upload a few themes and it caused me more trouble than it was worth.

Kindred

The stuff is all CSS...  I suggest playing around with firebug... Alter the width setting of the main section, etc and see what works before messing with actual files.  If I recall, the default mambo theme is actually very narrow
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: