News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

permission to allow certain access

Started by grninja, December 22, 2010, 11:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grninja

Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 04:56:25 AM
Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 04:52:44 AM
but if its read only , then they won't be able to reply ????

I am sorry but if someone post something trying to make me look stupid when in fact they weren't reading the thread correctly then of course I am going to point out the error of there way,

just as you have put READ ONLY , when i want REPLY ONLY
You set the permission for the group you want to be able to post, not regular members.  Just put down a wrong word, still the same concept.  Just because you copy from read only don't mean it's set in stone to stay read only, you can allow membergroups to post by changing the permissions inside it.

thank you buddy , just trying it now to see if it works... I have tried about 5 different ways now lol

grninja

Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 04:48:38 AM
Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 04:43:56 AM
Quote from: Road Rash on December 22, 2010, 01:03:08 PM
Quote from: G1 on December 22, 2010, 11:29:13 AM

When creating or modifying a board you have a small dropdown with a few choices. Just select the "Reply Only" option.  No membergroup permission settings needed. They will be able to read and reply but not start new topics.

;)

When I create a Read Only board on RC4 people can READ ONLY but cannot reply. That's the whole point of being READ ONLY. :laugh:

Well you clearly haven't read the whole thread and are a complete Tard

I want the board to be completely useable to a certain usergroup

and then for the rest of the normal users without a primary user group the be REPLY ONLY

so I have no idea where you get the idea I want the whole board to be read only
Don't act like a dick, or you'll lose all your help very quickly.  Now, what they told you is correct, you need to change the permissions for regular members.

Admin > Permissions (drop-down menu) > Edit Profiles

New Profile > Copy Permissions From [ Read Only ]

Now with the new profile you made, edit regular members and don't allow them to post.  Add this profile to each board you want to use these permissions.

How am I meant to make that group now reply only for some boards but still have full access for the others ... its stopping them from being able to create new threads in board they are allowed to ????

one solution just creates another problem

grninja

Right I am clearly either missing the point here or not explaining myself enough so I will state each point...

usergroups

standard users - need to be able to see all boards , read all boards , but for a couple of boards only be reply only

for example if people advertise things for sale then I only want member of  a different group name

usergroup let call it VIP

VIP = see all read all post all

if I change the board permissions then the VIP group doesn't have access to post in the so called for sale section

now I tried crating a reply only member group made it so normal members cannot see the for sale section but then the reply only member group can , I set the permissions for this and then set it as a secondary group for 1 member called test-user and ass soon as you add the member group to the board they are able to post because there primary group can post to boards they are allowed to and this seems to override the permissions.

I have even tried the shiny new block function and the primary membergroup overrides this... even though the primary member group shouldn't be able to see the for sale board...

so in short the secondary member group even though it only has 2 permission to reply only its primary membergroups permission are flooding onto the secondary one

Illori

try enabling the ability to deny permissions in admin -> permissions -> settings enable the option to deny permissions then try what was suggested above with a profile for the board, but add the DENY to post new topics to the groups that require it.

grninja

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2010, 06:06:24 AM
try enabling the ability to deny permissions in admin -> permissions -> settings enable the option to deny permissions then try what was suggested above with a profile for the board, but add the DENY to post new topics to the groups that require it.

tried it already :-( didn't work

I think I am going to build another forum fresh install for testing so I can mess about with it more.

and then maybe get someone else to have a look too.

Illori

as long as you deny the post permission they cant post no way around it. can you take a screenshot of the permissions in the profile you are trying to create?

grninja

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2010, 06:11:12 AM
as long as you deny the post permission they cant post no way around it. can you take a screenshot of the permissions in the profile you are trying to create?

its not the specific member group that is the problem...

I have the membergroup i.e reply-only can only reply to the boards it can see. this works ok but when I make the membergroup a secondary member group rather than primary it then uses the primary member groups permissions.

so to make it clear for example

I have 2 boards

General and
Forsale

normal members cannot see the forsale but can see general and has normal posting and reply rights.

I have a group reply-only that cannot see the general but can reply only to forsale

as soon as normal member adds the reply-only group as a secondary group it lets them see the forsale board and then uses the permission from the primary membergroup normal users

Illori

if you have in the profile for that board that either group that member is in has the DENY permission they will not be able to do that action no matter what.

grninja

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2010, 06:19:27 AM
if you have in the profile for that board that either group that member is in has the DENY permission they will not be able to do that action no matter what.

wish I wasn't at work I would just give you remote access to my pc so you can see if all

I am sure this is something really simple I am missing .

IceXaos

You could always provide temp admin access, via PM of course.  (Not to me 'cause I'm busy atm.)

Illori

on the top of the permissions page it says

QuoteFor each permission you can pick either 'Allow' (A), 'Disallow' (X), or 'Deny' (D).

Remember that if you deny a permission, any member - whether moderator or otherwise - that is in that group will be denied that as well.
For this reason, you should use deny carefully, only when necessary. Disallow, on the other hand, denies unless otherwise granted.

make sure you check the D column not the X column.

grninja

Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 06:38:51 AM
You could always provide temp admin access, via PM of course.  (Not to me 'cause I'm busy atm.)

I would like to be able to see what the person that helps me does rather than just fix the problem , hence suggestion remote access so I can see it.

thanks anyway

Illori

you can always ask them to tell you what they did, not everyone can use remote access at a time that you would be available and able to fix or look into the issue.

grninja

Quote from: Illori on December 23, 2010, 06:42:10 AM
you can always ask them to tell you what they did, not everyone can use remote access at a time that you would be available and able to fix or look into the issue.

thanks anyway

I think I am going to setup a new forum and then give someone access to that and then they can do it on there and I will mirror to the other place...

IceXaos

grninja

Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 06:57:18 AM
Topic solved then?

not yet , as I haven't resolved the issue... I am unable to do this until I finish work

IceXaos

Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 07:00:53 AM
Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 06:57:18 AM
Topic solved then?

not yet , as I haven't resolved the issue... I am unable to do this until I finish work
Well, it seems as if you're too worried to give someone access to actually help you, so I figured you'd be off to try and find someone to help with Teamviewer or something where you can control every action.

Well, good luck.

Deaks

grninja, i am guessing as you have not gotten back to us then this is solved, therefore i have marked it as such
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: