News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Straight DB convert (for phpbb)?

Started by ShannaraAK, July 08, 2005, 11:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShannaraAK

I am wondering if it is possible to have a straight db convert of phpbb to smf 1.0.5? What are the reasons to ask for the phpbb directory? Basically, I am trying to not to install phpbb, load up from db backup, then try to convert over.. If there was a way to straight db convert, that would rule :) Is this a possibility?

[Unknown]

Create this file in the same directory as SMF:

<?php

$dbname 
'database_name';
$table_prefix 'yourprefixhere_';

?>

Name it config.php.  Run the converter with SMF's directory in both boxes.

IMHO, it's better to ask for a path that's easy to stay unique and detect, than to ask for those two which are much more technical.

-[Unknown]

ShannaraAK

Och! Thanks for the info :) The only bad thing, it claims not to be able to find the phpbb config file, even though the paths are correct.

[Unknown]

My mistake.  For phpBB you also need a file named extension.inc, with the following contents:

<?php

$phpEx 
'php';

?>

-[Unknown]

ShannaraAK

That worked perfectly :) Thank you again!

Sully

Ok so where did you put the phpbb db backup when u created this and converted? Did you put the phpbb back in the SMF dir along with the new config.php file?

Sully

Oldiesmann

Go into phpMyAdmin on the server that SMF is installed on, click on "SQL" and import the phpBB database dump, making sure it's on the same database as SMF. Then follow the instructions above and run the converter.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Sully

Oldies..

Thanks, in my instance the SQL upload has "Max: 10,240KB" my db is approx. 25MB.  So went i attempted this just now, it basically sits and stalls... no errors or anything.. but nothing happens.

Sully

Oldiesmann

10,240KB = 10MB. So, I recommend trying the importer mentioned here.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: