News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Members reporting problems with Internet Explorer (IE)

Started by mannyRUA, December 27, 2010, 05:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannyRUA

Having changed our larger forum over the last few days to RC4, recurring format problems seem to be cropping up for members.

This ranges from text overlapping the line below, to advertisements in the right tower overlapping each other to windows "bouncing up and down" when trying to post. In the past, stuff like this was fixed by users enabling some built in "compatibility mode" that is apparently built into IE (I say apparently as I don't use it so don't know).

All the problems seem to relate to formatting, and all specific to IE users. Those with Firefox and Chrome are not reporting these problems.

I know IE is a bit pants, but while people insist on using it, we need to cater for them. Are the IE problems known and is there an easy fix?

Oathkeeper

The only think I can think of is to get them to upgrade. IE shouldn't exist anymore.

But on a lighter side, these problems weren't happening with RC3 correct? Worst case senario would be to change the version number back to RC3 (although keep RC4 installed). It might get IE to behave right.

Developer please correct me if I'm mistaken

mannyRUA

We had the odd problem of this nature even in 1.1.X, the latest incarnation of IE seems to have created the most problems.

However, since the RC4 swap (we never had RC3 on this particular site), there are many of them moaning about it right away.....

QuoteI'm using IE and formerly could correct stability issues by making sure that Windows is running in "Compatability View" mode. Now that seems to make no difference as the page jumps all over the place no matter what WE view is selected.

Any solution I can apply?

QuoteAnother thing is if you look at my above post
it looks messy, because some lines have two
words in it and others have several. Is there
something that can be done? I have been
going back and fixing them but it is a real
time consuming PIA

QuoteI just tried to correct the spelling on a post submitted by a member and was unable to do so.  The format allowed me to make the change but when I hit save the original post and incorrect spelling was restored. 

Its an old problem that is still with us: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=350604.0

Any quick fixes for this?

Arantor

QuoteDeveloper please correct me if I'm mistaken

You're quite mistaken.

There were some changes made to work around IE 8 bugs in RC4, but it seems they've been broken again. That said, try using the default theme for a while - I'm using IE 8 right now and it works fine in Compatibilty View on the default theme.

Oathkeeper

How was I mistaken? My remark was saying that could you not just change the forum version via AdminCP?

*Not arguing just curious, learning process and all

Arantor

Firstly, changing the version number through the ACP only affects package installation. It doesn't affect the master forum version, which is set in index.php and cannot be changed anywhere in the ACP. (I wrote a mod to do it, though.)

In any case, it won't fix the problems that are present which are IE 8 bugs that SMF 2.0 tries to work around and currently does not succeed.

Advertisement: