News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Require registration

Started by fantasydirtracing, December 27, 2010, 10:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantasydirtracing

How do I set up the forum to require registration in order to view the forum.  I have changed my permissions for a guest but it looks weird they can still see the forum.  I would like to have a page simular to this forums page when you are a guest.

http://ibracn1.proboards.com/

Illori

admin -> features and options, allow guests to browser the forum, uncheck.

LynnB

I would like guests to browse (unless they are banned). My problem is I am getting many new registrants who, when I check their IP, are known spammers. I ban them as I find them, but they never manage to post anything. This is a huge annoyance though. What I would like to do is force a new registrant to jump through more hoops, possibly even confirm by email.

Another question - I sometimes get a new registrant whose IP is a spammer. But when I go to ban them, that IP is already banned. How is it possible that they have created a new registration from an IP that was already banned?

Illori

it is preferred for each person to make a separate thread for each support issue, you might want to take a look at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19

Spoogs

To require email activation

Admin>>Members>>Registration>>Settings

Deaks

LynnB do you still require assistance?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Road Rash Jr.

Be aware though that spammers have as many email addresses in their arsenal as they do IP addresses. Having them validate their email address on registration won't even slow them down.
On one of my forums that has this setting a person hit the forum with over 50 posts before I caught up to him.
On most of my other forums I have installed a mod called IP 2 Location and registration requires Admin Approval. I found having admin approval to be the most effective in stopping spammers in their tracks as no one can post until they have been approved. It's a bit of work but less work than going through the forum deleting all their spam.
With the IP 2 Location I can track their IP address and with a bit of time you will get to know where the location of spammers send from and ban them on the fly.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Advertisement: