News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't stay logged in "Forever"

Started by HiBuzz, December 29, 2010, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiBuzz

If I close my browser window then open again and go right back to my forum, I have to log in all over again even though I previously chose "Forever." I should still be logged in, no?

Illori

that depends on if your browser clears its cookies when you close it or not.

kat

It also may depend on the expiry time you've set, for your cookies.

Admin>Server settings>Cookies and Sessions>Default login cookies length (in minutes).

You might find that swapping "Enable local storage of cookies" and "Use subdomain independent cookies" might help, too.

(If you have one checked, uncheck it and check the other one)

HiBuzz

Quote from: K@ on December 29, 2010, 01:44:41 PM
It also may depend on the expiry time you've set, for your cookies.

Admin>Server settings>Cookies and Sessions>Default login cookies length (in minutes).

You might find that swapping "Enable local storage of cookies" and "Use subdomain independent cookies" might help, too.

(If you have one checked, uncheck it and check the other one)

Well, I just tried it both ways ... closed the window, opened it back up again and not logged in, either way. Browser doesn't clear cookies upon closing ... no problem with other such websites ... like this one, for instance. Any ideas?

Ashley S

What browser are you using? Because if your using FireFox it recently released the latest FireFox about 1 week a go..

HiBuzz

Quote from: Ashley S on December 29, 2010, 06:05:16 PM
What browser are you using? Because if your using FireFox it recently released the latest FireFox about 1 week a go..

Happening with both Firefox and IE ... even though I specifically allow cookies from my site.

HiBuzz

OK ... just discovered another oddity with this ... although I'm told to log in, if I click on any message board I'm all of a sudden logged in. I don't think this is normal behavior ... when I come to this SMF forum it say "Hello HiBuzz" showing I'm logged in without having to click on anything.

Does this help give anyone an idea as to what the problem is? Can it be with the cookie itself? Is there a way I can get a new SMF cookie?

HiBuzz

It gets even weirder ... as I said, if I click on almost anything, I'm logged in automatically. However, if I click on "Login" down below where it says "Home, Help, Search, Login, Register," it brings me to a login screen!

I provide this info hoping it will give someone a clue as to what the problem is.

kat

HiBuzz

Quote from: K@ on December 30, 2010, 05:28:34 AM
Try renaming your cookie.

OK, K@ ... but could you tell me exactly how and where I would do that? New to me. Thanks.

HiBuzz

Don't know why, but I found that rebooting my PC solved that problem ... but created another one which I'll post as a new topic.

Still wouldn't mind learning about renaming cookies if you care to elaborate.

kat

Admin>Server settings.

It's just below about half-way down that page.

Advertisement: