News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Modification parse error

Started by Aelwyn, January 02, 2011, 10:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwyn

Hello everyone,

I hope someone will be able to help me with this problem. Prior to this, it was not allowing me to attempt installation of packages claiming not all the files were writable. I was able to fix tat error by creating a temp file; however, now when I try to install any mod I receive 'Modification parse errors'.

My server information can be found here: hxxp:forum.mythscape.net/phpinfo.php [nonactive]

I have already:
Made a temp and temp.txt file
Verified that all files and folders are at 777
Verified that all of the files belong to the ftp user
Have reinstalled
Have used repair_settings to correct all paths.

Does anyone have any insight into what else I can try?

Many thanks,

Aelwyn

Ashley S

What's the Modification your trying to install? Have you tried any others?

alsaka

hello , i have sam error

when i Installing or Uninstall Mod
i see this error with Action (.xml) Description (Modification parse error)
i see error with any mod

alsaka

this pic to try Uninstall mod , same with install

MrPhil

Quote from: Aelwyn on January 02, 2011, 10:00:06 AM
Verified that all files and folders are at 777
Verified that all of the files belong to the ftp user
Those two may be a problem. First of all, why would the ftp user own the files? Shouldn't they belong to the forum owner? Second, your server may have security software (such as suPHP) that is blocking use of "world writable" directories and files (777, 666 permissions). Directories are normally 755 and files 644, but depending on how your server is configured (under what ID PHP is running), you may have to grant extra "write" permissions to group and/or world (775/664 or even 777/666). Keeping directories at 777 or files at 666 is a security hazard, so change them back to 755/644 as soon as you're done doing the install or modification.

Aelwyn

@Ashley S : I have tried many; there is always an error beside every .mod or .xml file.

@MrPhil : It was always my intent to change them back; however, I set them to 777 after following the advice on forums of a similar nature to try and fix the first error I was receiving; about the files not being writable. You also misunderstand, what I mean is that all of the files are owned by the ftp user that the forum uses to access and edit files.

MrPhil

OK, it's just that some misinformed people simply say, "chmod 777 everything" without thinking through the possible consequences. Sometimes it does take a 777 permission setting to allow a directory to be written to, and if you've tried 755 and 775 with no joy, then try 777. Just don't do it blindly -- you certainly don't need any files 777. And change back to a safer 755 when you're done with whatever operation you're doing that needed to write to a directory.

'ftp' can be a registered Linux system user and group -- I thought that's what you were talking about. Normally, a user with permission to ftp and write files will get ownership (usually they're the forum/site owner).

alsaka

thx all its work now 755 all file its work

Advertisement: