News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Moving forum

Started by eric1234, January 03, 2011, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric1234

I currently has a old SMF 1.112 version forum with members and currently i has a new SMF 2.0 RC 4 forum that installed with different mods than the old SMF. SO is it possible for me to move all the members, threads and post from the old SMF forum to the new 1? Both different web host.

Oh ya, is there any mod that will has a special tag or a unique square box tag just right below the user menu that indicate the membergroup of the person? Like in the attachment.

Thank you very much.

CapadY

No, moving them is impossible.

The only way is updating (a copy from) the 1.1.12 forum to an RC4 forum and then replace the neccesary tables.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

eric1234

I see. How about the tag in the attachment? ^^ Any mods able to do that?

sAce

Quote from: eric1234 on January 04, 2011, 05:26:48 AM
I see. How about the tag in the attachment? ^^ Any mods able to do that?
YOU can simply do that by changing the star image for that member group.

N3RVE

Quote from: eric1234 on January 03, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
I currently has a old SMF 1.112 version forum with members and currently i has a new SMF 2.0 RC 4 forum that installed with different mods than the old SMF. SO is it possible for me to move all the members, threads and post from the old SMF forum to the new 1? Both different web host.

We'll need more information than this. Are you looking to retain the content in the 2.0 forum? It's possible to execute the upgrade script on the 1.1.2 database so it has the same database structure as the 2.0 version and then move the database to replace the current 2.0 database.
If you are looking to retain the content on the 2.0 forum, merging the content from two databases is possible and has been done before. The drawback is the duplicate ID's on topics, posts and members, however that can be taken care of with a script to bump the ID numbers on one database.

Attached is a script that was been worked on by a former colleague, although it won't work without some considerable work and is NOT recommended to use on anything but test forums. The script is just hard-coded with a settings array, an interface was planned but I think development halted as the Developer parted with SMF :(

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

eric1234

Thank you Nerve.

May i know how to change the Star's image? :)

sAce

Acp > Members > Member groups > Group name > change the star image file name

eric1234

But i have to upload the pictures 1st before i am able to change right? So how to upload the pictures from my pc?

N3RVE

You can use the FTP protocol, got FileZilla or other FTP software? Connect to your server and transfer the files to a directory on the server and make the image path changes in the Admin Panel. You can also use the File manager in your control panel.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

eric1234

Basically, those photos/pictures shall be upload to which folder?

sAce

../Themes/theme_name/images/

Advertisement: