Database problem - 2.0 RC4

Started by tycms, January 03, 2011, 05:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tycms

The database was previously converted to UTF-8 and it was used with a 2.0 RC3 (UTF-8) install without any problems. When I apply smf_2-0-rc4_update package to the existing 2.0 RC3 install, non-ANSI characters are corrupt.

But, when I make a clean 2.0 RC4 install and import a database backup (from 2.0 RC3 install, contains only the table data -not the table structure), everything seems fine. Is it OK to use a database backup from 2.0 RC3 in a clean 2.0 RC4 install? What might be the reason for corrupt non-ANSI characters when I use the smf_2-0-rc4_update package?

Thanks.

Illori

does this help?

Quote from: Norv on December 12, 2010, 11:48:13 AM
For what SMF version was the old database?

Did you have a backup of database structure and data, or only data?

What happens if you comment momentarily that line from Settings.php, i.e. replace it with:

// $db_character_set = 'utf8';

tycms

Thank you for your interest Illori. I checked the whole topic. I have exactly the same problem described in the first post of that topic. But, in contrast to Reply #2, I have this problem only when I apply smf_2-0-rc4_update to the 2.0 RC3 install. When I import the 2.0 RC3 database backup to a clean 2.0 RC4 install, I don't see any problems with non-ANSI characters. The problem is, I am not sure if 2.0 RC3 database structure is 100% compatible with 2.0 RC4.

I will follow Norv's comments and try to examine the problem again.

Advertisement: