What did I do wrong? (basic html question)

Started by Uhura!, January 11, 2011, 06:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhura!

Look @ this page in IE & then look at it in Firefox.

I did it right for IE but in Firefox it looks all grey.

What did I do wrong?

http://ourmomspot.net/community/index.php?page=Our_Mom_Spot_Community_Newsletter

html code atached.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Illori

in opera and IE it shows the same in FF is where it is different. your newsletter seems to be in a table and in that table you are using a body tag, i would recommend you take out the body tag and see how it looks. check that your theme has tbody defined in the css.

Uhura!

Can you tell me more or show me?

I have no idea what you mean.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Illori

is the attachment the exact code of the news letter you have shown?

in the attachment it has

<html>
<body>
<table align="center" border="8" bordercolor="0174DF" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" >

so since <body> is already called on that page to create the main content, it is now looking for <tbody> as your already inside an existing body and a table to create the content you are using.

remove the body tags and try looking at the page again.

Mari-chi

Find:
<table align="center" border="8" bordercolor="0174DF" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" >

Replace with:
<table align="center" border="8" bordercolor="0174DF" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" style="background-color: #ffffff;">

It's actually only showing up white in IE because IE doesn't support transparency.

Sorry, clarification: the version of IE that I'm using, anyway. :P

Illori

i am not sure that is all of the problem, the body tag being called seems to be a bit of an issue as well if not other issues that may come after that gets resolved.

busterone

I think it is in the color codes. I tried your code in a simple portal page and got the same results in ff until I added a # in front of the the color codes.
bordercolor="0174DF became bordercolor="#0174DF
example- <table align="center" border="8" bordercolor="0174DF" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" > changed to
<table align="center" border="8" bordercolor="#0174DF" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" > causes FF to render the border color correctly.
I haven't gone through the entire code, but I believe if you add # to the beginning of each color code it will work. Try it to see.  :)

Mari-chi

@Illori: I don't think Uhura would leave in <html> and <body> tags in the page... At least, that's what I assumed. :/

@busterone: Yes, that's also an issue in FF. It'd be much simpler to just add style="background-color: #fff;" in the table tag, however, if the background colour was all the OP was meaning to change, IMO. :3

Illori

well i would not assume anything, unless told directly from what i can see i think that whole attachment is the contents of the article with the issue.

[edit] if you go view the page that is linked in the op, and view with firebug you will see that there is a tbody tag listed, also if you view the source you see 2 <body> tags

busterone

Quote from: Mari-chi on January 11, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
@Illori: I don't think Uhura would leave in <html> and <body> tags in the page... At least, that's what I assumed. :/

@busterone: Yes, that's also an issue in FF. It'd be much simpler to just add style="background-color: #fff;" in the table tag, however, if the background colour was all the OP was meaning to change, IMO. :3
True, however, not only is the background not rendering correctly, but the table borders as well. Adding the # to all the color codes caused it to render the correct colors. I just tried the entire code and it worked in FF after the changes.  :)

Illori

please dont mark the topic solved until the op states they have resolved the issue.

Uhura!

Solved!

The answer was to to do CSS. That way it works with all browsers.

Thanks to all. :D

Advertisement: