Check for Duplicates

Started by FinsandFur, January 13, 2011, 12:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsandFur

Who can tell me exactly how that functions as far as a forum administrator would be concerned?

It's a link that simply reads "Check for duplicates".
When it is clicked it changes to " Dont check for Duplicates".
I see nothing else happening.

I dont get it. I'd like to think that as long as it reads "Dont check for duplicates", it is in fact actually in the background CHECKING for duplicates.

But something tells me it's a function we execute on pending members, otherwise SMF would have used a radio button or check box here.
:o

tesser

And where is this option located ?

twig/al

It is in the section where you approve members... I have been wondering the same thing...

FinsandFur

Nobody has any information on this?  :-\  I wonder how in the heck it got in there. ???  LOL

ARG01

The Check For Duplicates, when clicked on will show duplicate registrations as far as email, IP's, etc. It is not an option to turn duplicate registrations on or off, it just allows you to check and see if there are any duplicate registrations and give you the choice to approve or not approve. Therefore it is a link, instead of a radio button.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

tesser

And the path to this is ? i cant seem to find it on my site.

ARG01

Admin > Members > Awaiting Activation: Then, look for the link near the bottom right, just left of the dropdown option menu.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

FinsandFur

Thanks G1........so is it safe to assume that as long as it reads "Dont Check for Duplicates" that is actually always checking for duplicates?

ARG01

If there are duplicates they will always be there until you either allow or disallow activations. The only real reason it gives you the option to check is to help you deter spamming. Chances are that if more than one registration waiting for activation has the same IP address then it is a good sing that it is a spammer or a bot attempting to register.
This option does not stop duplicate registrations. It only gives you the option to see if there are any and take action before allowing registration.

;)

FinsandFur

Ah man....I started getting a grip on it but now you really lost me  :-\

I used to check for duplicates (1.1.x) by clicking the IP address anyway, that will list any member with that same IP, granted it wont get them all from the same IP pool.

And yes, anyone with any sense will notice duplicate IP's setting there waiting to be approved, but what does this Check/Dont Check link do now?
Do you select several pending registrations and then click Check, seems kind of useless. or do you leave it on a certain setting?

I'm getting more confused. :o

ARG01

The link has nothing to do with the system allowing duplicate registration attempts. It turns nothing on or off. It is merely an option that allows to look at the list and see if there are duplicate registration attempts before you allow activation, nothing more.
Example: Show the list or don't show the list.

And yes, you can also check for duplicate IP's simply by clicking the IP option as well.
;)

FinsandFur

Quote from: G1 on January 15, 2011, 11:32:08 PM
Example: Show the list or don't show the list.

Ahhhhhhhh!  I gotch'ya now.
I thank ya sir for putting up with me ;)

ARG01

No problem. I try to make things as confusing as possible any chance that I get.  ;D

Advertisement: