Filtering and deleting bots?

Started by ChicosAStar, January 14, 2011, 10:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicosAStar

I have a forum that recently had an influx of 800+ bots. I got reCaptcha, and that seems to have stopped them from creating any more accounts. Now, I have 80 members or so that are not bots, and a lot that are. My question is, can I mass delete members by cross checking variables such as registration date, if they have a website link (all the bots I saw filled out this field), and their post count?

Thanks for any help,
-Andrew Castro

ACAMS

You didn't say what version of SMF you have, but I have 2.0 RC3 and I use this mod and require new members to make at least one post or their account gets deleted.
I delete ALL member accounts with 0 posts that have not logged in for 2 days, every 2-3 days........bots and human spammers are gone.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2569

When members sign up the very first security question is alerting them they need to make a post, or their account WILL be deleted.

here are my 4 security questions

You MUST make 1 post or your account WILL be deleted (answer ok)

Are you a spammer (no)

Do you like robotics (yes)

Are you going to forget to make one post  (no)

As for the third question, my forum is about robot fighting games (Robot Arena, Robot Arena 2, Robot Wars, Battlebots....ect, ect)

no bots have signed up, and only a couple human spammers have been stupid enough to answer all 4 questions.....just to be deleted by the mod.

Advertisement: