News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

My guess that an array is not being used where it should be used.  Most likely a bot.  Your host is using a new php.  Things change all the time.  I will need to look into it.  Good timing, planing to work on updates in the next few weeks.

I wonder if a Visitor is getting blocked around the same time.  If so I will like to see that portion of the log.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

blogger419

I just installed this mod. However, when I attempt to save settings I get an error that says "The Connection Was Reset". I am not using a proxy and it happens in Firefox, and Chrome. Is there a setting that I need to check in the firewall itself? Thank You.

butchs

I covered this topic before in this thread.  That message is purely host related.  It is not generated by the mod.  Chances are you host is either having issues or has a firewall that is blocking you.

You can try:
1.  See if your host connection is good.
2. Have the host adjust their server firewall.
3.  Edit the mod settings via Cpanel through the mySql database.

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Uhura!

Hello butchs,

I can see that this is an excellent mod.

I have to admit - some of the technical things about it are above my level of comprehension.

Can you help me?

1) please give me a really simple overview ... and
2) please tell me how to adjust my settings so that real visitors are not accidentally blocked? )I currently have everything set to default and I am afraid to make any changes because I do not understand how it works or what to try.)

Yesterday one of my head admins was blocked for an entire day & that told me I really need to learn more about this. I suspect that other real visitors may also be being blocked.

Thank you for your help butchs!
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

butchs

Hi.  Please read at the very first post in this thread.  Then let me know if you have more questions.

Uhura!

Honestly - yes. I read the first post. Twice. I will read again.

My issue is that there are some things being described which I do not comprehend.

I understand so far that I need to uncheck "Block violations" until I am able to see that there are "no infractions in the visitor logs that can deny you or your top members access."

I have unchecked this because one of my top members keeps getting banned and I am understanding that unchecking "Block Violations" means that no one will be blocked from the site? Am I correct?

My next question is - What will I be looking for in the visitor logs?

Thank you!
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

butchs

Yes.

Assuming you whitelist your regular members per the first page.  You will bee looking blocks caused by your forum.

Uhura!

If I whitelist regular members from the permissions area, and I check Block violations - will my regular members be exempt from being blocked?

butchs

Yes long as they did not log out and have an ip change since the last time they were on your site.  You should do it before enabling blocking.

zmijek

Hello,

I have some problem with my Firewall sending mi informations:
HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +hxxp:www.google.com/bot.html [nonactive])  - Hack: Disallowed characters!

How I can resolved this errors???

Thank you.

butchs

How do you know they are ERRORS?  Is the bot really GOOGLE?  It is easy to spoof an ip these days...

If you want to give access you can do two things:
1.  Whitelist Google in "User-Agent Whitelist".
2.  Edit "Permitted URI Characters".
3.  Set up robots.tst inspection.

See the first post in this thread for more information.

marjorie

Something weird here... package manager refuses to upload zip and when I follow the manual unpack and upload it cannot see the mod files.

And yet Ive just upload another security mod (loginsecurity) with no problems at all.

I'm running SMF2.07

Help please!

butchs

I doubt that I can be of much help with this issue.  This mod is much bigger than loginsecurity.  As far as manual unpacking, that sounds like a SMF questions not a mod question.  This mod installs just fine through package manager.  Maybe you are having a connection timeout issue?

butchs

Version 2.0.0 with IPv6 support is in beta testing.  Hopefully all is well and should should be totally debugged in a week...

SMF Helper -  FF 2.0.0 Beta Link

butchs

The next release will support SMF 2.1 too.  Hopefully, four more days of testing and it will be done....

Bigguy

Will be installing this with the next upgrade from github. Nice job bud. :)

butchs

It appears you are the 2.1 test bed.  Thank you since, I do not plan to go live with 2.1 until later.  My experience with SMF 2.0 beta was annoying.

I downloaded "SMF 2.1 Alpha 1" over the weekend and used that as the basis.  For other versions I would suggest you use package manager emulate.  All in all I hope you try it sooner than later, I would like to see SMF 2.1 with at least two days live with no errors in the log before FF is released.

Bigguy

Ok, I will upgrade my site when I get home from work and install it later tonight if I can if not it will be tomorrow for sure.

Kindred

I also have 2.1 running on a test site... :)
I'm even willing to give you access to play around, butchs
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

Kindred,
I like to take you up on that.  It will be sweet to test it live.  Plus a have a few days left to do some anti-hacking stuff until I have to go back to the drudgery of trying to make money.
:)

Advertisement: