smiley code broken on RC4?

Started by imrich, January 16, 2011, 09:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrich

After updating my forum to RC4, a particular smiley won't display in a post, we see only the text.

This is the code: !&#*

This worked under RC3 and previous versions, but not under RC4.

I know a work around could be to change the smiley code, but then all the previous posts that used it would have to be edited, or they would display !&#* instead of the smiley image.

As a test, I set that smiley code to :testing: and it showed up fine, so I know everything else seems to be configured properly (plus, this was working fine until we upgraded to RC4).

Any ideas?

sawz

add a smiley using that code. then all smileys that used that code will display a smiley.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

imrich

I guess no one has any ideas why the code !&#* for a smiley in 2.0 RC4 when this worked ok on 2.0 RC3?

imrich

Quote from: sawz on January 16, 2011, 09:12:22 AM
add a smiley using that code. then all smileys that used that code will display a smiley.

I'm not sure what you meant by this. I do have a smiley defined using this code. It displayed OK in 2.0 RC3, but now in RC4 it doesn't display.

What do you suggest is wrong or changed?

Thanks for any help!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

imrich

This is a private club forum, so there's not much to see remotely unless you are a member.

Interesting thing that I saw when a page was loading slowly. Just as I pressed 'Post' (or 'Save' when editing the message) the smiley code appeared to be changed to: !&#*

But when I go back and edit the post, the smiley code displays as !&#*

Checking the source output, the HTML looks like this:

<div class="inner" id="msg_8505">test of this&nbsp; !&#38;#* smiley</div>

Is this a clue?

If you want a look, I can PM you an url of a test post, but I don't want the URL in public as it is a small private club.

Thanks for your help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, I'm not sure if seeing it would even help much - but thought it could be worth it to see, and test it in multiple browsers and charsets.
One thing I did hear lately, related to this, that some 1.1.12 forum couldn't use scandics ( ä,ö,å ) in smilie codes for some reason - we never did find out why exactly, they just decided not to use them then. You could also circumvent this, possibly - by changing the actual smilie code you are now using, to something that works - and then add a word censor to change the original smilie code to the new code.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

imrich

OK I just edited my message with another clue. Re-read it.

This is 2.0 RC4 and it was working previously on RC3.

Your word censor sounds like a cumbersome workaround, but perhaps I'll try it.
If you want a PM with the URL, let me know.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The code changing to !&#38;#* is definitely a clue, I just wish I knew what caused it to do that.

EDIT: I linked this topic for the devs to take a closer look, so let's hope they catch it soon, and will have someone who knows more of the code's insides on this matter...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

imrich

Thanks for your help. I'll wait for an update from a Dev.

Joshua Dickerson

It just changed it to it's numeric entity.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

imrich

Yes, ok, but why did it stop working as a smiley on RC4 when it was previously working on RC3? :)

Joshua Dickerson

Good question. One for the devs though ;)
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

imrich

I have another smiley that is not working. It also has an ampersand in it: !&#

The strange thing, one of my other moderators says if he edits one of my messages he can get the smiley to work by adding a space before or after the smiley code.

I tried editing the messages the same as he has and I can't make it work.

I asked him what browser he is using. I've tested with both IE8 and FireFox and see no difference.

If I go back and edit one of the messages that he edited, and do not change anything, simply press edit, then save, the smiley is not working again!

So I think the clue is that IE (and firefox) must be translating the smiley code to !&#38;#* when I save or post the message.  The strange thing is that this worked on RC3 code, so why is it browser specific?

willerby

I had a moderator report similar issue on my RC4 forum but couldn't replicate. He says when he edits a post in IE some smileys, showing ok before the edit, revert back to code despite no change being made? I can't replicate it either!
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

imrich

Quote from: laetabi on February 05, 2011, 04:12:42 PM
I had a moderator report similar issue on my RC4 forum but couldn't replicate. He says when he edits a post in IE some smileys, showing ok before the edit, revert back to code despite no change being made? I can't replicate it either!

Can you report both the smiley codes that are broken when he does this as well as which browser you are using? Perhaps these clues will help.

willerby

Looking into with the member and will report back.

(It was quite a minor issue so I ignored it when originally reported!  :-[)

willerby

Apologies, looks like my issue is mod related, specific to my site, as cannot replicate on this site in the test area.

On my own RC4 site, if a post is edited in IE or Firefox when the WYSIWYG is turned on (or toggled on) this results in smileys being lost from the modified post.

When the WYSIWYG is off all works correctly. It's such a minor issue I wouldn't normally pursue it further for my own forum (unless it helps this thread to solve a wider bug).

imrich

That's a good clue! If I use the 'toggle view' to tun on WYSIWYG, then the smiley works!

Also if I set my profile to use WYSIWYG by default, then the issue doesn't occur.

My other admin was using firefox, but I am also. so perhap it was  how I have wysiwyg toggled in my profile.

So it's something in SMF then... Now i definately need a dev's help.

imrich

Has any Dev looked at this issue at all?

WYSIWYG is the only workaround I currently have.

Advertisement: