Is this possible, a sort of ticketing system?

Started by gazzak, January 18, 2011, 08:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzak

What I'd like to do is have a way to create a number when a new thread is created in a certain forum for job ticketing purposes.

For example, we have a forum called "technical support", so when a new thread is made, a job or ticket number is created and can be referred to from that point onwards, (and ideally attached to the thread title). Is there anything like that out there for SMF Forums?

Illori

Arantor

A better solution would probably be a full on ticketing system and keep the tickets out of the forum (where you can set proper permissions on who can view tickets to keep some private as necessary) in which case you might find http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491 the way to go about it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: gazzak on January 18, 2011, 08:33:58 AM
What I'd like to do is have a way to create a number when a new thread is created in a certain forum for job ticketing purposes.

For example, we have a forum called "technical support", so when a new thread is made, a job or ticket number is created and can be referred to from that point onwards, (and ideally attached to the thread title). Is there anything like that out there for SMF Forums?

Well, have you concidered that every topic in SMF has a unique number ID? This topic is 417909.

What exactly would you be seeking in terms of functionality?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Road Rash Jr.

You might consider this, we have a tech support sight and this program is great for that http://www.simpledesk.net/
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Arantor

Quote from: Road Rash on January 18, 2011, 09:00:27 AM
You might consider this, we have a tech support sight and this program is great for that http://www.simpledesk.net/

That's the one I linked to ;) But yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing we designed it for...

Road Rash Jr.

I think it's great. We have several mechnics online who handle specific sections and questions. Members love the details and how easy it is to get help.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Arantor

Awesome, glad to know the time was worth spending on it :) (I use it on a site or two myself, but I'm more than a little biased)

Road Rash Jr.

gazzak

Quote from: LexArma on January 18, 2011, 08:41:20 AM
Well, have you concidered that every topic in SMF has a unique number ID? This topic is 417909.

What exactly would you be seeking in terms of functionality?

Hi LexArma, yes, that's a possibility but I'd prefer it to be issue #1, Issue #2 etc for ease for following.

Thanks for all the replies, I will check out each suggestion.

gazzak

Simpledesk looks worth a try but I appear unable to install it on SMF V2 RC4.

The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

Spoogs

Version emulate
Admin>>Packages... scroll down, click Advanced, change RC4 to RC3 and try again.

NanoSector

That was the issue I was encountering at install as well..

Use the solution spoogs said and it should install.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

gazzak

Quote from: Spoogs on January 18, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
Version emulate
Admin>>Packages... scroll down, click Advanced, change RC4 to RC3 and try again.

Thanks Spoogs. I'm new to SMF so didn't realise you could do this. I'll try in the morning and report back.

Spoogs

Sure... we were all new once, I think I'm still pretty new.

If you get any errors or need any help with it, its best to use the support board on the Simple Desk site

gazzak

That worked perfectly. Now having a play with SimleDesk. Very nice.

Thanks.

Arantor

Advertisement: