News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

totally screwed up forum, help

Started by Tunz Master, January 19, 2011, 03:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunz Master

I was working on cbox chat in ezportal on my site and it totally locked up.

couldn't do anything, tried to reinstall smf over it to fix errors & now it is really messed up.

are there any options> or do i have to delete everything & reinstall from scratch? [thank gosh I did a database backup last nite]

and if I have to delete it & start over how do I do that?

thanks for any help

cicka

Quote from: Tunz Master on January 19, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
I was working on cbox chat in ezportal on my site and it totally locked up.

couldn't do anything, tried to reinstall smf over it to fix errors & now it is really messed up.

are there any options> or do i have to delete everything & reinstall from scratch? [thank gosh I did a database backup last nite]

and if I have to delete it & start over how do I do that?

thanks for any help

May we see the link to your forum? Or can you post here what errors are you getting?

Tunz Master

now it's just saying service unavail

cicka

Can you overwrite your forum files with files from the 2.0 rc 4 large upgrade package? Assuming you are using the latest version, otherwise use the files from the package of the same version as your forum. But do not upload the upgrade files. If this will not fix the error then contact your host as it can be a misconfiguration on their part.

Tunz Master

I tired that already, that when it really locked up.

I have tons of attachments I dont want to lose if I have to totally reinstall
  also I can't remember if I updated from 2RC3 to 2RC4 already & I tried over writing with 2RC4 as it was the only download before I thought about it.  I was in panic mode.  dumb dumb dumb

kat

http://bootlegtunzworld.org/communityarea/agreement.txt

is still there. You have the database, so you have all your posts, attachments and members.

:)

Now... let's try to figure this one out...

kat

Right.

Best way that I can think of, now, is to try what Cicka suggested, but with the RC3 large upgrade. If that screws, we can try the RC4 one.

Just to check, you need to dearchive the files/directories and upload them all to your site, overwriting what's there, now.

BUT, if you used the install package, instead of the upgrade, you may well have overwritten Settings.php.

If that's the case, you've screwed the software's ability to communicate with the database.

Soooooo...

You need to do this: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=663

To get that communication going, again.

Tunz Master

thanks so much for the help...... i am still major panic mode.

i just tried what I did once before, delete whole sql database and start from scratch.

i have done all that but now cannot import my sql backup database in myphp admin?

I can use a 2rc3 backup on 2rc4 can't I?

I downloaded a database w/tables lastnight [THANK GOD]......I cannot find smf 2rc3 anywhere so used rc4, and can't get this thing to upload?

I am ready to throw the ******in' computer

Illori

make sure you setup settings.php FIRST to direct to your database then run upgrade.php to upgrade the database.

Advertisement: